Old 20-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Registered User

Default PLEASE HELP! I have cut my new turf too short...

Hi there,

Over two weeks ago I had a gardener lay some lovely looking new turf in my garden. I am not sure exactly what type of turf it was but it was the runner type and the gardener refereed to it as 'professional' if that helps...

As advised, I watered the turf every evening for two weeks and was rewarded with a really plush green lawn. It seemed that the turf responded really, really well to the new top soil. After two and a half weeks it was time to mow the lawn so I borrowed my neighbors mower and went to work.

Only when the job was finished did I realise that his mower was actually a scarifier and it cut the blades of grass down very, very low. It also looks like the scarifier has 'scalped' some small areas of turf in a few places. Since yesterday (when I cut the lawn) some areas of yellow have now started to appear.

It is disheartening to see what was once a really lovely lawn look so bad and I am worried that I have damaged it beyond repair. It is my own fault for not researching how short I should have cut the turf. In addition, the grass was also wet when I cut it but I have only just found out that was a mistake.

Aside from having the garden re-turfed again is there anything I can do? I am hoping that with time and regular watering the garden will return to its former plush green self but I am new to gardening and really don't have a clue!

Any advice / suggestions / comforting words would be greatly appreciated!

Many, many, many thanks in advance for your response,

Chris.
Old 21-08-2011, 03:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

C. Leach wrote:
[...]

Keep it watered - It'll dry out faster cut that short, and let it have a few
weeks to grow back. It'll probably do fine. Just don't do that again. Probably
used the highest setting any regular mower has.

Old 21-08-2011, 03:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bob F wrote:
C. Leach wrote:
[...]

Also, don't forget to use a fall fertilizer - the most important one of the
year. Check locally for exactly when to apply it.

Old 21-08-2011, 03:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Aug 20, 9:19*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Bob F wrote:
C. Leach wrote:
[...]

You must be a troll. No one could possibly be that stupid
and still be alive.

Old 21-08-2011, 04:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

C. Leach wrote the following:
Hi there,

Over two weeks ago I had a gardener lay some lovely looking new turf in
my garden. I am not sure exactly what type of turf it was but it was the
runner type and the gardener refereed to it as 'professional' if that
helps...

As advised, I watered the turf every evening for two weeks and was
rewarded with a really plush green lawn. It seemed that the turf
responded really, really well to the new top soil. After two and a half
weeks it was time to mow the lawn so I borrowed my neighbors mower and
went to work.

You have a lawn, but no lawn mower?

Only when the job was finished did I realise that his mower was actually
a scarifier and it cut the blades of grass down very, very low.

I usually check behind the mower to see what's happening to the grass. I
would have noticed that it was set too low before I got a couple of feet
into the job.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Old 21-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Registered User

Thank you for getting back to me so soon. It really is appreciated! I'll keep an eye on it and make sure that it gets plenty of water. I'll let you know how its looking in a month. Thanks again! Chris.
Old 21-08-2011, 07:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

willshak said:

C. Leach wrote the following:
[...]

Am I the only one here with this "Mr. Bean" image in my head now?
--

Eggs

Can I yell MOVIE in a crowded firehouse?