Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
Default Weeds...lot's of them!

I moved into a new property last year and have gradually been sorting things out. The time has now come to 'fix' my garden. The plan is to either turf it or grow grass from seed but at the moment it is covered in weeds.

I need to kill all the weeds (80sqft garden) but would like to keep a small tree which is planted in an area approx. 4sqft. What would be my quickest/cheapest option??

Any help is appreciated...


P.s. I live in the North East of England in the UK & I am new to gardening!

  #2   Report Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 03:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2011
Posts: 236
Default Weeds...lot's of them!

On Sep 4, 4:46*am, sa08 wrote:
I moved into a new property last year and have gradually been sorting
things out. The time has now come to 'fix' my garden. The plan is to
either turf it or grow grass from seed but at the moment it is covered
in weeds.

I need to kill all the weeds (80sqft garden) but would like to keep a
small tree which is planted in an area approx. 4sqft. What would be my
quickest/cheapest option??

Any help is appreciated...

P.s. I live in the North East of England in the UK & I am new to
gardening!

--
sa08


Glyphosate, Roundup being one brand sold here
in the states. It works by being absorbed through
the leaves. So, as long as you don't spray it on the
tree, it will be fine. You can seed a week later if
you like, but it usually takes 10 days or more for
everything to die. May take two applications.
I'd apply it at a higher than the minimal rate so
it's more effective. Go with 5%. It's also much
cheaper if you buy it as concentrate and use
a 2 gallon tank sprayer to apply it instead of
buying it pre-mixed.

One other factor, it's effectiveness decreases with
temperature. The more actively growing the plants
are, the easier they are to kill. So, don't wait too
long when the weather starts to get colder.
  #3   Report Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 07:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 127
Default Weeds...lot's of them!

On Sep 4, 9:39*am, "
wrote:
On Sep 4, 4:46*am, sa08 wrote:





I moved into a new property last year and have gradually been sorting
things out. The time has now come to 'fix' my garden. The plan is to
either turf it or grow grass from seed but at the moment it is covered
in weeds.


I need to kill all the weeds (80sqft garden) but would like to keep a
small tree which is planted in an area approx. 4sqft. What would be my
quickest/cheapest option??


Any help is appreciated...


P.s. I live in the North East of England in the UK & I am new to
gardening!


--
sa08


Glyphosate, Roundup being one brand sold here
in the states. * It works by being absorbed through
the leaves. *So, as long as you don't spray it on the
tree, it will be fine. * You can seed a week later if
you like, but it usually takes 10 days or more for
everything to die. *May take two applications.
I'd apply it at a higher than the minimal rate so
it's more effective. *Go with 5%. *It's also much
cheaper if you buy it as concentrate and use
a 2 gallon tank sprayer to apply it instead of
buying it pre-mixed.

One other factor, it's effectiveness decreases with
temperature. *The more actively growing the plants
are, the easier they are to kill. *So, don't wait too
long when the weather starts to get colder.- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


I agree, but would add a caution to pick a day when there is not rain
in the forcast for a few days, if that is possible in England. The
chemical needs at least 24+ hours without wash off to be absorbed by
the weeds.
  #4   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 02:40 AM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red[_2_] View Post
On Sep 4, 9:39*am, "
wrote:
On Sep 4, 4:46*am, sa08 wrote:





I moved into a new property last year and have gradually been sorting
things out. The time has now come to 'fix' my garden. The plan is to
either turf it or grow grass from seed but at the moment it is covered
in weeds.


I need to kill all the weeds (80sqft garden) but would like to keep a
small tree which is planted in an area approx. 4sqft. What would be my
quickest/cheapest option??


Any help is appreciated...


P.s. I live in the North East of England in the UK & I am new to
gardening!


--
sa08


Glyphosate, Roundup being one brand sold here
in the states. * It works by being absorbed through
the leaves. *So, as long as you don't spray it on the
tree, it will be fine. * You can seed a week later if
you like, but it usually takes 10 days or more for
everything to die. *May take two applications.
I'd apply it at a higher than the minimal rate so
it's more effective. *Go with 5%. *It's also much
cheaper if you buy it as concentrate and use
a 2 gallon tank sprayer to apply it instead of
buying it pre-mixed.

One other factor, it's effectiveness decreases with
temperature. *The more actively growing the plants
are, the easier they are to kill. *So, don't wait too
long when the weather starts to get colder.- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


I agree, but would add a caution to pick a day when there is not rain
in the forcast for a few days, if that is possible in England. The
chemical needs at least 24+ hours without wash off to be absorbed by
the weeds.
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll give it a shot next weekend weather permitting!


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A whole lot of weeds Brob Lawns 8 22-08-2012 05:53 PM
I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? possibly OT Salty Thumb Gardening 0 22-06-2004 11:04 PM
Two acre lot with lots of weeds James Branvold Lawns 11 17-06-2003 07:56 AM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017