GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gnats bitting us (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/19970-gnats-bitting-us.html)

Scott Downey 02-05-2003 01:44 AM

Gnats bitting us

It happens every spring, thousands of bitting gnats in our yard. They stop
bitting at the end of May.
How do you get rid of gnats? I have some large hedges around the house, does
this contribute to the problem?
It is so bad within 5 minutes of walking out the front door you will be
surrounded and attacked by hundreds of gnats.

We live in Newport News, VA just above Norfolk. A friend of ours has no
gnats and has suggested spraying the yard?
Any ideas?

Ed Lucarini 03-05-2003 03:20 AM

Gnats bitting us

Spraying will kill the good bugs with the bad. Find out who in your area is
an organic guru. One who might suggest buying three containers of lady bugs
and praying Mantis egg sacks.

Really one lady bug can devour up to 50 garden pests per day. Their
favorite food is aphids, but they also eat scale, mealy bugs and mites.
I'll bet they'll eat your gnat eggs for breakfast.

Also think about installing a bird feeder. Birds nest near feeders and eat
lots of bugs as well.

Good luck,
Ed

Datura 06-05-2003 03:20 PM

Gnats bitting us

Don't know if it is related ..but

Are you overwatering your yard or having a particularly wet season? I've
read gnats love to eat fungus and damp environs contribute to that. Last
year I overwatered a bit and had lots of gnats ..

Datura