Old 25-11-2011, 10:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Eliminating zoysia without chemicals

Everyone knows zoysiagrass is a tough grass to get rid of. Why anyone
would want to get rid of it, I don't know because zoysia is so gorgeous
in the spring and summer.
But I found a page at URI that claims you can get rid of zoysia
naturally, without chemicals. Here's the quoted passage:

"Many people plant zoysiagrass with the hope that it will solve all their
lawn problems. After observing it for one or two winters, some people
change their minds and hope to eliminate it. Their task is not easy.

"If you do not wish to use chemicals, or if complete or fast elimination
is not required, you can use the following procedures.

1. Fertilize in September and October only.
2. Raise the height of cut to 3 inches or higher. After several years,
this type of management encourages the cool-season turfgrasses to
overtake the zoysiagrass.

"Faster elimination is possible. You would have to kill the entire zoysia
lawn with a non-selective weed killer such as glyphosate, then renovate
and reseed (CAUTION: glyphosate is not available for sale in Rhode
Island--you will need to order it from an advertisement in a gardening
magazine or newspaper)."
[End of passage]

The web link is:
http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/zoysia.html

Why would those 2 steps above (fertilizing only in September and October
and raising the cutting height to 3 inches) encourage cool-season grass
to overtake zoysia?

I can kinda see that the Sept/Oct fertilizing would favor cool-season
grasses since they're waking up from their summer slumber while zoysia is
falling asleep, but why would a 3-inch or more cutting height hamper
zoysia in favor of cool-season grasses?

I think I usually cut my zoysia kinda high (because I almost always cut
it on Wheel Setting 4 of a 5-setting mower. Would this step alone hinder
my zoysia in favor of the cool-season grasses? I never fertilize in
September or October.
Old 28-11-2011, 02:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Nov 25, 4:28*am, ZoysiaSod wrote:
[...]

I haven't tried the above procedure, but from my experience,
I agree, it doesn't seem likely to work. I've seen Zoysia drive
out cool season grass in lawns without regard to cutting height
or amount of fertilization or lact thereof.

As to why you'd want to get rid of it, if it's growing in a
northern climate it looks like dead straw from Oct till May.
I live in coastal NJ which isn't all that cold and IMO, it's not
suitable
for a lawn here. Another consideration is if you have neighbors
who's lawns are contiguous with yours, zoysia will invade it
and take over. It's like planting bamboo. By choosing it you're
forcing it on someone else who may not like it.

Around here I'd consider it for secondary areas, areas where I
don't want to worry about weeds, want something aggressive, etc.