Old 30-11-2011, 01:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Eliminating zoysia without chemicals

Most people in my suburban St. Louis neighborhood have
Zoysia (probably Meyer Z-52). Some have a mix of
fine fescue (probably Boreal) and KBG. The transition
zone of St. Louis is so welcoming to diversity, that
there are even a couple people in the neighborhood who
have Bermuda (probably Common). Cool-season and
warm-season grasses get along fine in St. Louis.

My neighbor to the right has zoysia like me, but my
neighbor to the left has fine fescue and KBG (well
that's in his front yard--in his backyard he has
nothing but henbit and crabgrass which I pull when
it encroaches into my yard).

I believe the laws say if your neighbor has a tree
you don't like, and the tree has some branches that
encroach into the air space of your yard, you
cannot cut down your neighbor's tree, but you can
cut down the branches that encroach into your
yard's air space, if you like.

You know, even my neighbor with the fine fescue/KGB
mix doesn't care what kind of grass he has. When
I briefly talked to him about the henbit and crabgrass
weeds in his backyard, he blithely smiled and
said "As long as it's green, he doesn't
mind." [chuckle]

Willshack, please don't take yourselves too
seriously, friend :-)