Old 13-02-2012, 04:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default How do you measure soil PH???

I'd like to measure the PH of my soil.
I have PH paper.
Stick it in a liquid, compare color to chart and I have the PH.

But dirt is not a liquid.
Put dirt in water and some stuff will dissolve and other stuff won't.
And the PH is dependent on how much water you add.
So, how the heck do I prepare the sample to get a PH reading for dirt?
Old 13-02-2012, 11:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 2/13/2012 10:25 AM, mike wrote:
I'd like to measure the PH of my soil.
I have PH paper.
Stick it in a liquid, compare color to chart and I have the PH.

But dirt is not a liquid.
Put dirt in water and some stuff will dissolve and other stuff won't.
And the PH is dependent on how much water you add.
So, how the heck do I prepare the sample to get a PH reading for dirt?

I just moisten the soil a little. Enough to get the paper wet.