Old 22-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Registered User

Default Not Another Lawn ?

In 2010 we got a lovely wee lab (bitch). Over the period she was peeing on the grass in the back garden and we ended up with dead grass patches.

Then the winter hit .... ouch it was a bad one.

We ended up with pretty much no lawn at all after that .... just dirt.

In summer of 2011, I resolved myself to sorting the back garden. I halved it in two (horizontal) with the back section now being bark and the play area for the kids and the front re-turfed.

RE-TURFING - There wasnt much grass left .... in fact sod all (excuse the pun). The ground looked a little compacted so I thought grass roots would struggle to penetrate. I got myself a rotavator and went over the area a few times. On doing this it churned up all the crap that had obviously been burried during the building of the house back in the 60's so I spent 3 nights on my hands and knees picking out all the debris.

I rolled it and then got on with laying the lawn. Was easier than I thought.

It looked spectacular. Lush green grass and the lovely smelling bark enhancing my enjoyment on the garden swing chair. It was like this for a few months. I watered it, cut it .... treated it like one of the family.

At one point we had a lot of rain up here (aberdeen) and I just never got a chance to go out and cut the grass so it grew and grew. Eventually we started seeing some mushrooms so I thought sod it (again with the pun) got the flymo out and cut the grass down. The grass was wettish and it was long enough to be a bit of a struggle to cut. After that it was down hill.

Large patches started discolouring so I put down some of the grass restorer etc but to no avail. It gradually all died. There is a wee bit of grass returning but I dont see it getting better See below.

I have considered astro turff but I got alot of enjoyment from my the real stuff so would like to have another go. But before I do I need to understand why my grass died and to ensure that it doesnt happen again.

I should add that my dog now only pees on the bark and didnt actually pee on the new turff although the garden slopes a little from the bark area down to the grass. I wondered if the pee was running down but I very much doubt it.

Anyway please let me know what you think or if you need more information.
Attached Thumbnails
Not Another Lawn ?-imag0157.jpg

Last edited by Another_Lawn? : 22-03-2012 at 06:06 PM
Old 22-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another_Lawn? View Post
[...]

Darnit ..... managed to put wrong photos in ..... how many posts until you can edit ?
Old 23-03-2012, 06:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Another_Lawn? wrote:
Darnit ..... managed to put wrong photos in ..... how many posts until
you can edit ?

Photos?

This is not a binaries group.

Old 23-03-2012, 02:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 22, 1:55*pm, Another_Lawn? Another_Lawn.
wrote:
[...]

It's never a good idea to remove too much grass at one
time. Best practice is to remove no more than 1/3 of
what's there. So, when you cut it after letting it get
overgrown you should have set the mower as high as
possible.

Large patches started discolouring so I put down some of the grass
restorer etc but to no avail.

I don't know what "grass restorer etc" means, but it's almost
always a mistake to put down fertilizer when you suddenly
have trouble like this. If it was growing fine and then within
a few weeks it turns to crap, it's NOT fertilizer. Another
common mistake is to over water it at the first sign of trouble. Some
water is good, too much can make matters
worse. Most likely you shocked the new grass by letting
it get very long, then cutting back too much. That could have
made it more susceptible to disease or insects which
could have then finished it off.

Also, the worst conditions for disease are the heat of
summer combined with being wet and having fertilizer
with nitrogen present. Those conditions can
enable turf disease to finish off a lawn in a matter of days.

*It gradually all died. *There is a wee
bit of grass returning but I dont see it getting better See below.

I have considered astro turff but I got alot of enjoyment from my the
real stuff so would like to have another go. *But before I do I need to
understand why my grass died and to ensure that it doesnt happen again.

I should add that my dog now only pees on the bark and didnt actually
pee on the new turff although the garden slopes a little from the bark
area down to the grass. *I wondered if the pee was running down but I
very much doubt it.

Anyway please let me know what you think or if you need more
information.

You should have re-seeded or sodded it early last Fall. That is the
optimum time to establish new turf. I would
also test the soil for at least PH prior to proceeding and
adjust if needed. Also, when you were having the problems,
did you take a sample back to the sod supplier and ask
them what was wrong? It's virtually impossible to diagnose
something like this without actually seeing it. Many times
even the experts aren't 100% sure without running actual
tests.
Old 23-03-2012, 03:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Another_Lawn? wrote:
At one point we had a lot of rain up here (aberdeen) and I just never
got a chance to go out and cut the grass so it grew and grew.
Eventually we started seeing some mushrooms so I thought sod it (again
with the pun) got the flymo out and cut the grass down. The grass was
wettish and it was long enough to be a bit of a struggle to cut.
After that it was down hill.

Letting it grow long, then cutting it short leaves nothing but stems. The leaves
are not there to feed the roots. The roots suffer.

Using a proper fall fertilizer is probably the most important fertilizer
application. The roots get stronger over the winter.

Large patches started discolouring so I put down some of the grass
restorer etc but to no avail. It gradually all died. There is a wee
bit of grass returning but I dont see it getting better See below.

Fertilizers need to be applied in moderation. Too much will kill the grass
quickly.

Properly overseeding now, keeping it just damp without ever drying out till the
seed sprouts might restore it assuming that the area gets enough light. Scratch
up the bare soil first, and rake the seed into the soil till it is covered.

After the grass is established, do not water it a tiny bit each day, but water
it heavily once a week to help the roots grow deep.

By the way, it is better to access this alt.home.lawn.garden usenet group using
a newsreader program and usenet server, rather than accessing it through
websites like gardenbanter that post it as if it is their their own offering.
There are multiple free newservers like eternal-september available.