GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Clumps of grass help please? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/202798-clumps-grass-help-please.html)

benunited 26-03-2012 02:13 PM

Clumps of grass help please?

Hi folks

Newbie here. Any advice much appreciated!

Last year I planted a turfed lawn. It has come on really well and I'm pleased with it.

Only thing is some sections seem to be doing really well, better than the others. Some small patches of one or two feet wide are really green and grow a lot quicker than the rest of the lawn.

Not a massive problem obviously but I'd love the lawn to look uniform. Any ideas what to do?

Thanks

Ben

Bob F 26-03-2012 04:37 PM

Clumps of grass help please?

benunited wrote:
Hi folks

Newbie here. Any advice much appreciated!

Last year I planted a turfed lawn. It has come on really well and I'm
pleased with it.

Only thing is some sections seem to be doing really well, better than
the others. Some small patches of one or two feet wide are really
green and grow a lot quicker than the rest of the lawn.

Not a massive problem obviously but I'd love the lawn to look uniform.
Any ideas what to do?

Are the green patches caused by pet "waste"?

Fertilize the less green areas - they will get greener.

allen73 30-03-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benunited (Post 954234)
Hi folks

Newbie here. Any advice much appreciated!

Last year I planted a turfed lawn. It has come on really well and I'm pleased with it.

Only thing is some sections seem to be doing really well, better than the others. Some small patches of one or two feet wide are really green and grow a lot quicker than the rest of the lawn.

Not a massive problem obviously but I'd love the lawn to look uniform. Any ideas what to do?

Thanks

Ben

It looks like a Fescue but with about 300 species in that Genus I have no idea which one. And the various species do range in size from what you describe to about 2 meters tall.

If someone in your general area has some growing in their garden, birds could have dropped seeds for you. Since it's been there for years and hasn't spread it most likely isn't invasive and dangerous to native plants so I would think dividing and replanting to make new plants would be the best way to spread them around.