GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gas found mixed with oil in my Troy-bilt lawn tractor (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/203024-gas-found-mixed-oil-my-troy-bilt-lawn-tractor.html)

Ima Goodguy 09-04-2012 07:07 AM

Gas found mixed with oil in my Troy-bilt lawn tractor

I started my Troy-bilt (super bronco) the other day. I almost
immediately started running rough and smoking profusely.
I shut it down and remembered the last time this happened.
Sure enough I checked the oil dip stick and the fluid level
was a couple inches above the full mark. And it smelled
like gasoline. I put a pan under the drain plug, opened the
drain plug and the fluid contents poured out like water and
smelled like gas.

As mentioned, this had already happened once before.
My question is: How can gasoline be getting mixed into
my oil pan ? This same situation once happened to my
girlfriends mower.

I have never mistakingly poured gas into the oil filler, and
I suspect that someone is out to get me - unless someone
can explain a good reason how else this could happen.

TIA

Paul

(P.s

Ima Goodguy 09-04-2012 08:28 AM

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 13:10:53 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Ima Goodguy" wrote in message
I started my Troy-bilt (super bronco) the other day. I almost
immediately started running rough and smoking profusely. I shut it down
and remembered the last time this happened.
Sure enough I checked the oil dip stick and the fluid level was a couple
inches above the full mark. And it smelled like gasoline. I put a pan
under the drain plug, opened the drain plug and the fluid contents
poured out like water and smelled like gas.

As mentioned, this had already happened once before.
My question is: How can gasoline be getting mixed into my oil pan ? This
same situation once happened to my girlfriends mower.

I have never mistakingly poured gas into the oil filler, and
I suspect that someone is out to get me - unless someone can explain a
good reason how else this could happen.

I don't know about this particular motor, but if the float in the
carburetor hangs up, the gas runs into the piston and down the gap in the
rings to the oil pan.

Wow... Thanks Ralph. I hadn't thought about that. I did ponder
" carburetor " for a moment, but not the float valve. In my paranoia
I immediately suspected foul play. I changed out the oil and did
my mow job, parked the mower. Then ran a length of black thread
across the garage opening ( no doors ) and check it periodically
to see if anyone had 'tripped' it. My next move was to be a trip to
Harbor Freight and buy a motion detect alert gizmo ($16.95).
Then I'd fill my S&W 357 with 38 Sp shot shells and wait for my
queue...

Would it help to burn some kind of carburetor cleaner stuff ?

It's a 2006 Super Bronco w/B&S 19 hp if'n that makes any dif.

Thanks again ... ( them shot shells are $15 a box of ten ... too
much to waste ..)

Ima ... ( actually Paul .. ).

Ima Goodguy 09-04-2012 12:07 PM

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 03:28:10 -0400, Ima Goodguy wrote:

[...]

Mistake. The engine is a KOHLER 19hp... I believe it is Model SV530S.

Willshak 10-04-2012 04:14 PM

Ima Goodguy wrote the following on 4/9/2012 3:28 AM (ET):
[...]

Save your money. I have one and it is too sensitive. Sets off the alarm
in a breeze when a leaf moves anywhere in its field of view. I think it
may detect flying insects too. It set off more false alarms than real ones.
You'll find that you will be disconnecting it during the time when you
really need it for your purposes, i.e. at night.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Ralph Mowery 11-04-2012 12:00 AM

Gas found mixed with oil in my Troy-bilt lawn tractor

"Ima Goodguy" wrote in message
to see if anyone had 'tripped' it. My next move was to be a trip to
Harbor Freight and buy a motion detect alert gizmo ($16.95).
Then I'd fill my S&W 357 with 38 Sp shot shells and wait for my
queue...

Would it help to burn some kind of carburetor cleaner stuff ?

It's a 2006 Super Bronco w/B&S 19 hp if'n that makes any dif.

Thanks again ... ( them shot shells are $15 a box of ten ... too
much to waste ..)

Hollow points are more effective and less expensive.
You do need to post a warning sign. Goes something like bullets are too
expensive to waste, so do not expect a warning shot.

Pat 11-04-2012 12:43 AM

[...]

Adding a fuel shutoff would help. You could run it out of gas before
putting it away.

Ima Goodguy 11-04-2012 03:09 PM

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 16:43:07 -0700, Pat wrote:

[...]

Great idea. I'll look into it..

Ima

Ima Goodguy 11-04-2012 03:18 PM

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 19:00:20 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Ima Goodguy" wrote in message
to see if anyone had 'tripped' it. My next move was to be a trip to
Harbor Freight and buy a motion detect alert gizmo ($16.95). Then I'd
fill my S&W 357 with 38 Sp shot shells and wait for my queue...

Would it help to burn some kind of carburetor cleaner stuff ?

It's a 2006 Super Bronco w/B&S 19 hp if'n that makes any dif.

Thanks again ... ( them shot shells are $15 a box of ten ... too
much to waste ..)

Hollow points are more effective and less expensive. You do need to post a
warning sign. Goes something like bullets are too expensive to waste, so
do not expect a warning shot.

Another good idea.

I'm not looking to kill anyone over this matter ( if indeed someone is
tampering with my mower ). Just wanna give'em something to think about
while pulling BBs out of their bottom.

I will post a sign.

Ima

[email protected][_2_] 11-04-2012 04:17 PM

On Apr 11, 10:09*am, Ima Goodguy wrote:
[...]

* * Ima- Hide quoted text -

As Ralph suggested, sounds like it could be the
carb float sticking. You can pull the carb, take off
the bowl and clean it. They have carb rebuild kits
available online, Ebay etc that cost typically $10.
They include new needle valves, gaskets, etc.
The gasket between the carb and intake is usually
not included, so get one of those too. Carb cleaner
and compressed air if you have it to clean it.

Ima Goodguy 11-04-2012 10:58 PM

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 08:17:25 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I've never taken a carb off nor rebuild one. Is it something an average
person can handle ? I suppose I could google up a diagram or two.

Ima

Bob F 12-04-2012 01:36 AM

Ima Goodguy wrote:
[...]

You will never learn without trying.

[email protected][_2_] 12-04-2012 05:01 PM

On Apr 11, 8:36*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Ima Goodguy wrote:
[...]

You will never learn without trying.- Hide quoted text -

It helps to have the shop manual which is probably available
online for free if you're lucky or for purchase.

Bob F 17-04-2012 02:03 AM

wrote:
It helps to have the shop manual which is probably available
online for free if you're lucky or for purchase.

First thing I buy when I replace a vehicle is the factory service manual. If it
is not available, I won't buy the vehicle (Kia minivan,for instance).

matthew calvert 17-06-2012 06:40 PM

Gas found mixed with oil in my Troy-bilt lawn tractor

Im not sure on whats fitted to your engine but in the past i have had trouble with fuel pumps that run off the cam in the engine. The gasket in the fuel pump can perish and leak fuel into the sump. If the float in the carb was sticking open id expect poor running aswell.