Old 22-04-2012, 01:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default String Trimmers

I've used a Black & Decker Model GH400 Type 3 single-line unit for many years and liked it a lot. Automatic line feed - cuts great and no effort. It needs $20+ worth of parts replaced, so I figured I would check out the new models first. After the experience today, I decided to buy the parts and keep using it.

For others' benefit...

I first bought a $50 corded Sears Craftsman 15-in 5A dual-line unit yesterday. Returned it an hour later. Just cutting regular light grass - not around fences or concrete items, but I had to keep tapping it ever 5-10 seconds to advance it or the line would wear down and slip back into the hub.

Then when I opened it to feed the line out, I saw that the line around the spool had loosened and was all tangled. So I took it out and rewound it --- need 3 hands to do this with a dual-line spool. Got it going again and same thing -- had to keep tapping it. Too much trouble, plus having to keep remembering to tap it instead of concentrating on what I was trimming.

I took it back and got a Toro 13-in 3.9A unit with single-line. No better - took an hour to do a 15 minute job. Finally ended up cutting a foot, then tapping it, which worked OK most of the time. That unit is going back to the store tomorrow.

Also went to another store and saw that all their units were dual-line. Only reason I can figure that would be better is maybe it balances the shaft and keeps vibration down? I never had any problems with the single-line unit.

Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Would be interested in hearing other tales.

Bob

Old 05-05-2012, 08:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
m...

[...]

I have a single string Black and Decker and a double string Black and
Decker. They both advance string automatically, and work great.

The single string uses string much faster and is mainly used when the grass
and weeds are not very high. The double string unit is a real work horse.
I've used it three times and it still has not used up that first reel of
string. The only draw backs with it is it is much more powerful and quite a
bit heavier than the single string unit, and is a bit more difficult to
control. I prefer it over the single string unit though.

Scout

Old 18-07-2012, 06:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Scout" wrote in message ...

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Thanks, good to hear this. Will give the double stringer another try.