Old 07-05-2012, 03:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Grass Seed On Top Of Rocks!? WHAT THE HECK!?

So I am out working in my yard today, and my 76 year old male neighbor
comes outside, and he starts sprinkling grass seed all over his
treebelt. The problem is, his treebelt is completely covered in
rocks!!!!! He has what appears to be 1/2 to 3/4 inch rocks/stones across
his entire treebelt, which is about 50 feet long, and 5 feet wide.

He had someone put the rocks there, on top of the topsoil, about 3 years
ago when he had trouble keeping Green grass on his treebelt ( he always
SCALPED the grass when mowing it! ). I like this old fart, and I TRY to
help him out when he needs it, like shoveling his snow, bringing out his
trash barrel for him, etc. etc.

Anyway, I offer to help him take the rocks off his treebelt for him, so
that the grass can grow there, but he says no, he "wants the grass to
grow through the rocks". HUH!? I tell him, even if some grass grows
there, HOW the heck is he going to mow the grass with a treebelt full of
rocks, without DESTROYING his lawnmower!! But he didn't understand what
I was saying, and just kept saying that he wants to grow grass with the
rocks still there??

I think the guy has lost it, and feel bad for him. I also feel like just
going over there and taking the rocks off his treebelt for him, but
don't want him to get mad when he sees that his precious rocks are gone!

He threw about a half bag of Kentucky Bluegrass seed all over his
treebelt, and then tried to rake it in, and then he watered it!

WHAT THE HECK!?

What a mess it's going to look like, when in a few weeks, the treebelt
is all rocks with new grass growing around them!!!!!

Here is some pics at the link below of what the rocks covering his
treebelt look like:

Landscaping Rocks 1/2 - Google Search

http://www.google.com/search?spell=1...ng+rocks+1%2F2

Old 07-05-2012, 12:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Also, there was plastic sheeting under the rocks to keep weeds from
sprouting up, but he moved the rocks, and took the plastic out, then put
the rocks back! He kept saying that he likes the rocks, but wants Green
grass there, and wants the grass to grow up through the rocks. He seems
to think the rocks are topsoil or something!? Also, they are not really
the pea-size or gravel size. I would say that they are roughly 3/4" inch
in diameter. Unfortunately, I don't really know any of is family, to try
to tell them what he is attempting to do, and if this an early warning
some of Alzheimers or something?

Old 07-05-2012, 03:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

MICHELLE H. wrote the following on 5/7/2012 7:59 AM (ET):
Also, there was plastic sheeting under the rocks to keep weeds from
sprouting up, but he moved the rocks, and took the plastic out, then put
the rocks back! He kept saying that he likes the rocks, but wants Green
grass there, and wants the grass to grow up through the rocks. He seems
to think the rocks are topsoil or something!? Also, they are not really
the pea-size or gravel size. I would say that they are roughly 3/4" inch
in diameter. Unfortunately, I don't really know any of is family, to try
to tell them what he is attempting to do, and if this an early warning
some of Alzheimers or something?

You did what you could do, legally.
Anything more would be intrusive.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 07-05-2012, 03:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 7, 10:12*am, willshak wrote:
MICHELLE H. wrote the following on 5/7/2012 7:59 AM (ET):

Also, there was plastic sheeting under the rocks to keep weeds from
sprouting up, but he moved the rocks, and took the plastic out, then put
the rocks back! He kept saying that he likes the rocks, but wants Green
grass there, and wants the grass to grow up through the rocks. He seems
to think the rocks are topsoil or something!? Also, they are not really
the pea-size or gravel size. I would say that they are roughly 3/4" inch
in diameter. Unfortunately, I don't really know any of is family, to try
to tell them what he is attempting to do, and if this an early warning
some of Alzheimers or something?

You did what you could do, legally.
Anything more would be intrusive.

+1

If she's lucky when he sees the results of what he's
created he may change his mind.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Grass Seed On Top Of Rocks!? WHAT THE HECK!? ( will )

Just so people know, I was and am pleasant to him, and I did just mind
my own business and let him do what he wanted to do. But I did feel
kinda bad, because I never heard of, or seen anyone throw grass seed on
top of a 50 foot long treebelt of rocks before! I tried to help him out
and offer to move the rocks for him, so that he can grow grass the right
way, on topsoil, but he said no, he wanted grass to grow with the
rocks!? Just hope he uses a weedwacker to cut whatever grows, and
doesn't try to mow a treebelt of 3/4" inch rocks/stones with his push
lawmower!!!!!