GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   lawn lime (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/20346-lawn-lime.html)

Die Spammer !!! 04-05-2003 02:32 AM

lawn lime

here in the pacific north west, I can get Dolomite or Lilly Miller Super
sweet. Dolomite is $6 and Lilly Miller is $4. What is the difference is
brands?

[email protected] 04-05-2003 04:56 AM

lawn lime

wrote:
here in the pacific north west, I can get Dolomite or Lilly Miller Super
sweet. Dolomite is $6 and Lilly Miller is $4. What is the difference is
brands?

What's your PH ?

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Die Spammer !!! 04-05-2003 09:32 AM

lawn lime

Soil PH? I have no idea. I guess I should find out but if I need lime what is
the better lime over all?

[email protected] 04-05-2003 12:56 PM

lawn lime

wrote:
Soil PH? I have no idea. I guess I should find out but if I need lime
what is the better lime over all?

here in the pacific north west, I can get Dolomite or Lilly Miller
Super sweet. Dolomite is $6 and Lilly Miller is $4. What is the
difference is brands?

What's your PH ?

You better find out before using lime.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Timothy 04-05-2003 08:56 PM

lawn lime

On Sun, 04 May 2003 01:32:47 +0000, Die Spammer !!! wrote:

here in the pacific north west, I can get Dolomite or Lilly Miller Super
sweet. Dolomite is $6 and Lilly Miller is $4. What is the difference is
brands?

The best way to tell is to look at the bags' contents and see if there is
any difference in ingredients. Dolomite has calcium magnesium carbonate in
it. Unsure of what lilly miller has. I doubt that there will be any real
difference, but in the pnw you'll want lime that's cleated with magnesium.
I highly suggest that you look into your ph first befor you lime the lawn.
Grass does well at a 6.5 ph. Ph of 7 can encourage weeds and a ph lower
than 6.5 can stunt the grass. If you need to apply a lot of lime, split
the lime into 2 applications, one now, one in the fall. I, personaly, like
to buy such supplies at the local farmers co-op. All the the fertilizers
are made locally by cenex and it helps to support the local farmers. Not
to mention it's generally cheaper to purchase fertilizer from them. 21-3-7
50 pound sack for $10.99. Lets see scotts beat that. Looking for your
local cenex..?
http://www.wa-grange.org/cenex_information.htm The above is an incomplete
list. Check you local phone books. Good luck.

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

William Plummer 06-05-2003 12:32 AM

lawn lime

Most of the posts on this thread are calling limestone by the name "lime".
Lime is really Calcium Oxide and is very caustic and will lower pH a lot in
a hurry. Real lime is used in outhouses and to destroy the body after a
murder! We used it to mark the yard lines on the high school football
field.

What is being sold to gardners is actually limestone. This is typically
ground up seashells, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Sulphate and the like.
These are very unreactive and if they lower pH, it will take a year for a
noticeable effect. But limestone is cheap. Buy lots. Apply it. and hope
for the best. It won't hurt.

But if you want a real reaction, buy real lime. Apply very carefully
wearing safety clothes! --Bill

Die Spammer !!! 06-05-2003 09:08 AM

lawn lime

William Plummer wrote:

Most of the posts on this thread are calling limestone by the name "lime".
Lime is really Calcium Oxide and is very caustic and will lower pH a lot in
a hurry. Real lime is used in outhouses and to destroy the body after a
murder! We used it to mark the yard lines on the high school football
field.

What is being sold to gardners is actually limestone. This is typically
ground up seashells, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Sulphate and the like.
These are very unreactive and if they lower pH, it will take a year for a
noticeable effect. But limestone is cheap. Buy lots. Apply it. and hope
for the best. It won't hurt.

But if you want a real reaction, buy real lime. Apply very carefully
wearing safety clothes! --Bill

the stuff here for lawns is brown and granular

[email protected] 06-05-2003 12:32 PM

lawn lime

wrote:
William Plummer wrote:

Most of the posts on this thread are calling limestone by the name
"lime".
Lime is really Calcium Oxide and is very caustic and will lower pH a
lot in a hurry. Real lime is used in outhouses and to destroy the body
after a murder! We used it to mark the yard lines on the high school
football field.

What is being sold to gardners is actually limestone. This is
typically ground up seashells, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Sulphate and
the like. These are very unreactive and if they lower pH, it will take
a year for a noticeable effect. But limestone is cheap. Buy lots.
Apply it. and hope for the best. It won't hurt.

But if you want a real reaction, buy real lime. Apply very carefully
wearing safety clothes! --Bill

the stuff here for lawns is brown and granular

That's beacuse they've granulated it,for easier spreading. As soon as it
gets wet,it's no longer granular.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/