Old 22-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Registered User

Default Petrol lawn mower for big garden

Found this forum looking for lawn mower advice so here is my first post.

My garden is about 3 tennis courts plus a bit more at the front. Some areas a bit uneven, so assume rotary isbedt option. I want self propelled but from using a friends cheap one I realise some are less propelled than others.

My old Honda is about had it. Please tell me what I should be looking for in the replacement. Engine size? Make? Features? Any advice is appreciated as the prices range from £150 to over £1000.
Old 22-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-H View Post
Found this forum looking for lawn mower advice so here is my first post.

My garden is about 3 tennis courts plus a bit more at the front. Some areas a bit uneven, so assume rotary isbedt option. I want self propelled but from using a friends cheap one I realise some are less propelled than others.

My old Honda is about had it. Please tell me what I should be looking for in the replacement. Engine size? Make? Features? Any advice is appreciated as the prices range from £150 to over £1000.
Match the type of lawnmower you choose with the size and shape of your garden.

For small lawns, up to 50 sq m, an electric lawnmower with a 30-33cm cutting width or a hand cylinder mower is suitable.

For medium lawns, up to 150sq m, go for an electric lawnmower with a 35-40cm cutting width.

For larger lawns, up to about 250 sq m or if your lawn is a long way from a power socket, a small petrol lawnmower is the best option. They start at about 40cm wide.

For lawns larger than 250sq m, look for a petrol lawnmower with a cutting width of 46cm or more. If you have a large lawn and find pushing a petrol mower too hard work, opt for a self-propelled version. Some come with a self-start version too, which means you don’t have to struggle with a starter cord.
Fruit Trees