GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sour Cherry Trees has buds but no Leaves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/203680-sour-cherry-trees-has-buds-but-no-leaves.html)

Gary 23-05-2012 05:54 PM

Sour Cherry Trees has buds but no Leaves

Hi.

Nothhampton PA 18954

I have 3 sour chery trees all trees are about 10-12 years old.
All 3 of them where just fine last year, but this year we had crazy
winter and early march(cold and rainny)
2 of the trees have buds(green inside) but has no leaves. The 3rd
tree(the smallest) has leaves and already has cherryes.

Any Idea what is going on with my other two trees?
What should I do?

Thank you in Advance.
Gary

allen73 28-05-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary (Post 959566)
Hi.

Nothhampton PA 18954

I have 3 sour chery trees all trees are about 10-12 years old.
All 3 of them where just fine last year, but this year we had crazy
winter and early march(cold and rainny)
2 of the trees have buds(green inside) but has no leaves. The 3rd
tree(the smallest) has leaves and already has cherryes.

Any Idea what is going on with my other two trees?
What should I do?

Thank you in Advance.
Gary

Extreme cold during winter dormancy, however, may kill the fruit buds. Winter weather rarely threatens apple, pear, plum and sour cherry varieties. Sweet cherry trees are relatively sensitive to cold until they become dormant. Peach trees are very vulnerable to cold weather; peach buds can be killed by midwinter temperatures of 10 degrees F below zero. The stone fruits--cherry, peach, plum and nectarine--can lose cold hardiness due to extended midwinter warm periods. Damage to the flower buds can be extensive, especially if the warm period is followed by a very cold period.