Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Registered User

Default Is my soil prepared correctly for turfing?

hi,

Please see attached picture of my garden.

Does the soil look prepared enough for turfing? I'm worried as there are quite a few large clumps of soil. Some around 3 or 4 inches in diameter.

I have dug the garden with a fork. I plan to tread the soil down, and rake prior to laying the turf.

The soil was quite compacted in places (due to foot traffic) prior to digging.

Should I consider using a tiller to break down the clumps of soil further?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Is my soil prepared correctly for turfing?-img_0708_c.jpg
Old 07-06-2012, 04:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

helix wrote:
hi,

Please see attached picture of my garden.

Does the soil look prepared enough for turfing? I'm worried as there
are quite a few large clumps of soil. Some around 3 or 4 inches in
diameter.

I have dug the garden with a fork. I plan to tread the soil down, and
rake prior to laying the turf.

The soil was quite compacted in places (due to foot traffic) prior to
digging.

Should I consider using a tiller to break down the clumps of soil
further?

You probably want the area to be as consistant in firmness and as smooth as
possible. If there were hard areas before, make sure they are loosened up as
much as the rest. Rent a roller and a 3-4 foot landscapers rake. Roll and rake,
roll and rake..... until the whole thing is smooth and level. A landscapers rake
is lightweight, usually made of aluminum, and long, which makes it much easier
to get a level surface. Both it and the roller will help break up and flatten
the clumps in the soil. The more smooth and consistant you get it before laying
sod or seeding, the longer it will stay smooth.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Registered User

Many thanks for the advice!

The ground is too wet right not to do anything so have postponed my turf delivery and will wait till it dries out before proceeding.

Cheers!