Old 16-06-2012, 09:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Tomatos

Got a lot of tomatoes coming on now.
The bottoms of tomatoes on one plant appear to be rotting. It is a
straight black indentation across the bottom.
Is it bugs or something else.
Old 17-06-2012, 12:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 6/16/2012 3:42 PM, Lil Abner wrote:
Got a lot of tomatoes coming on now.
The bottoms of tomatoes on one plant appear to be rotting. It is a
straight black indentation across the bottom.
Is it bugs or something else.

Blossom end rot. Look it up. Usually a deficiency of calcium. I grow
mine in containers and add a handful of ground limestone every year and
have not seen it since.

Old 17-06-2012, 04:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 6/16/2012 4:07 PM, Frank wrote:
On 6/16/2012 3:42 PM, Lil Abner wrote:
Got a lot of tomatoes coming on now.
The bottoms of tomatoes on one plant appear to be rotting. It is a
straight black indentation across the bottom.
Is it bugs or something else.

Blossom end rot. Look it up. Usually a deficiency of calcium. I grow
mine in containers and add a handful of ground limestone every year and
have not seen it since.

I'll have to see if there is something at the Co Op to stop it quick.
I've got a bunch of tomatos about to ripen.
Thanks
Old 17-06-2012, 07:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 6/16/2012 10:58 PM, Lil Abner wrote:
On 6/16/2012 4:07 PM, Frank wrote:
On 6/16/2012 3:42 PM, Lil Abner wrote:
Got a lot of tomatoes coming on now.
The bottoms of tomatoes on one plant appear to be rotting. It is a
straight black indentation across the bottom.
Is it bugs or something else.

Blossom end rot. Look it up. Usually a deficiency of calcium. I grow
mine in containers and add a handful of ground limestone every year and
have not seen it since.

I'll have to see if there is something at the Co Op to stop it quick.
I've got a bunch of tomatos about to ripen.
Thanks

I'd water in a couple of handfuls of fine ground limestone around each
plant. You'll probably lose parts of the affected tomatoes but
subsequent ones should be OK. That's what happened to me when I had the
problem years ago and learned about it.