Old 26-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Registered User

Default Lawn advice needed

Good afternoon all.

I'm very much a beginner at the whole gardening scene as I have always lived in an urban area with very little opportunity to get my fingers green.

However, we have moved into a semi detached house which has an 85ft x 35ft rear garden. There is decking covering 7ft x 35ft at the rear of the house with a small rectangular pond. The rest has been turfed.

What I need it some advice on how to bring this lawn to life. The garden does feel lumpy and bumpy under foot. We have a 3 year old daughter who I want to spend the majority of her time enjoying and taking advantage of such a big open space and make it as nice and child friendly as possible for her.

The grass isn't very green and hasn't been maintained at all. What can i do to improve the lawn? as you can see if the images below, the grass seems very dull. What products should i use and when should i use them?

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...y/4fa031e0.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...y/6e075a64.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...y/b102abf8.jpg

Any help and guidance is much appreciated.

Sam
Old 26-06-2012, 05:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Mottsey wrote:
[...]

[image: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8.../4fa031e0.jpg]

[image: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8.../6e075a64.jpg]

[image: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8.../b102abf8.jpg]

Fertilize it, water it, and set the mower to the highest/longest cutting setting
it has. Mow often enough that you are not taking off more than 1/3 of the grass
leaf at a mowing.

It has been mowed way too short. You need to allow the grass to show some green
blade. The more the better.

Old 26-06-2012, 06:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 26, 11:56*am, "Bob F" wrote:
Mottsey wrote:
[...]

blade. The more the better.- Hide quoted text -

It also looks like a large part of it is either dead or dormant. If
it's been getting a reasonable amount of water, then that
part is dead. I would go with Bob's advice for now and then
in mid Aug reevaluate. You could prepare then for either
overseeding the whole thing in early Sept or just killing off
everything and re-seeding. Which you want to depends on
what you have in Aug and how uniform a look you want. If it
were me and I had to seed large dead areas, I'd just
Roundup/glyphosate the whole thing and start over with a
high quality grass for the whole thing.

You should also evaluate the soil composition. If it's
compacted, using a core aerator when you're seeding
in Sept would be a good thing. You could also spread
a light top dressing of compost material at the same time.
Get the soil tested and adjust the PH if needed too.

When you're watering, you want to water it deeply, about
2 times a week. About 3/4" to 1" of water. At night so the
watering ends at dawn will use the least water and leave
the grass wet for the shortest time, which helps prevent
fungus.
Old 27-06-2012, 01:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bob F said:

Mottsey wrote:

snip
The grass isn't very green and hasn't been maintained at all. What
can i do to improve the lawn? as you can see if the images below, the
grass seems very dull. What products should i use and when should i
use them?

[image: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8.../4fa031e0.jpg]

[image: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8.../6e075a64.jpg]

[image: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8.../b102abf8.jpg]

Fertilize it, water it, and set the mower to the highest/longest cutting
setting it has. Mow often enough that you are not taking off more than 1/3
of the grass leaf at a mowing.

It has been mowed way too short. You need to allow the grass to show
some green blade. The more the better.

And I will add:
Keep the mowing blades sharp. You want to cut the grass, not tear it off.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 27-06-2012, 01:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Mottsey said:

What I need it some advice on how to bring this lawn to life. The garden
does feel lumpy and bumpy under foot. We have a 3 year old daughter
whoI want to spend the majority of her time enjoying and taking
advantage of such a big open space and make it as nice and child friendly
as possible for her.

[image: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8.../4fa031e0.jpg]

[image: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8.../6e075a64.jpg]

[image: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8.../b102abf8.jpg]

Any help and guidance is much appreciated.

You've gotten some good advice.

But on a bit of a tangent, that's a nicce little pond but a very strange place to
stash the grill.

Plus, you might consider asking advice from your neighbor to the left (as
seen in the photos).

Old 28-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mottsey View Post
[...]

Dear Sam I suggest that the most urgent job that you need to undertake is to buy more picket fencing, and make that pond area child-safe ASAP. Good luck with the lawn.

Reseeding Patchy Lawn - Advice Needed David Gibson United Kingdom 8 24-05-2004 01:09 AM
Lawn Advice Needed Novaa Australia 2 17-03-2004 05:10 AM
Ridding my lawn of Clover - Advice needed Tom Newton Lawns 3 29-08-2003 07:02 AM
Advice needed - new sod lawn dying in random patches Bob S. Gardening 0 19-05-2003 07:20 PM
Lawn and hard clay ground? Advice needed! MT Australia 5 05-04-2003 07:34 AM