Old 10-07-2012, 05:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default help with ryobi electric/brush cutter

Hi,

I have the Ryobi electric powerhead and noticed that
the manual said you could use any attachment but do not use
the brush cutter attachment. Of course, I need the
brush cutter attachment.

You can use the pruner, which is a chainsaw that can
cut 6" limbs, but the brush cutter which is used for
1/2" pulpy weeds/brambles is not recommended.

I called tech help about this and asked if the reason
was because there was more risk of cutting the cord
with the brush cutter [the pruner being elevated and not
near the ground].

Tech help did not have a great answer and was not even aware
of the electric powerhead being available. However they did say that
the rpm of the electric is less than the gas, and that if you hit
something big, it might break the shaft. As if the gas powered
one could not hit a rock and break as well.

In the manual, it says to not use the brush cutter because it
may result in 'personal injury, electric shock' and other
hideous things.

I think this is just a ludicrous warning if you can put a chainsaw on
the end of a stick and run *that.

Does anyone have an insight on this?

One other thing, I noticed that the 'tri blades' that go on
these things are fairly dull. It seems like you could compensate
for the lower rpm by sharpening the blade.

thanks,

itchy