GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lawn Weed I cannot identify (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/204571-lawn-weed-i-cannot-identify.html)

HerbyPeter 23-07-2012 05:07 PM

Lawn Weed I cannot identify

2 Attachment(s)
Googled until my eyeballs are popping but cannot identify and therefore eradicate safely.

HellT 25-07-2012 02:37 PM

Lawn Weed I cannot identify

On 7/23/2012 11:07 AM, HerbyPeter wrote:
Googled until my eyeballs are popping but cannot identify and therefore
eradicate safely.

|Filename: DSCF2295.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15181|
|Filename: DSCF2296.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15182|

Looks like chickweed to me. See

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...chickweed2.jpg

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-..._mouseear.html

HerbyPeter 25-07-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellT (Post 965384)

If you look at the leaves on my unknown weed they don't show any signs of being furry/hairy.
Also the flowers are never white, always a purply black and they don't open up as 'normal' flowers.
It never grows higher than an inch or so.

Although it shares some properties with chickweed there aren't enough to convince me it's the same plant.

[email protected][_2_] 25-07-2012 11:23 PM

Lawn Weed I cannot identify

http://tinyurl.com/cpjvjup
'field chickweed vs mouseear' (http://tinyurl.com/blh8xdr)

If you look at the leaves on my unknown weed they don't show any signs
of being furry/hairy.
Also the flowers are never white, always a purply black and they don't
open up as 'normal' flowers.
It never grows higher than an inch or so.

Although it shares some properties with chickweed there aren't enough to
convince me it's the same plant.

HerbyPeter

If it's in a bed, spray it with glyphosate
If it's in turf, spray it with a broadleaf herbicide.

No fuss, no muss. If everyone had to specifically
identify every weed, there would be a lot of weeds
and a lot of frustrated folks.

HerbyPeter 26-07-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [_2_] (Post 965448)
On Jul 25, 11:45*am,
If it's in a bed, spray it with glyphosate
If it's in turf, spray it with a broadleaf herbicide.

No fuss, no muss. If everyone had to specifically
identify every weed, there would be a lot of weeds
and a lot of frustrated folks.

Good advice trader but I suppose it peaks my interest.
If we were not to be curios humans I guess we wouldn't have any gardens. :))

Frank 26-07-2012 11:03 PM

Lawn Weed I cannot identify

On 7/25/2012 11:45 AM, HerbyPeter wrote:

HellT;965384 Wrote:

Looks like chickweed to me. See
http://tinyurl.com/cpjvjup
'field chickweed vs mouseear' (http://tinyurl.com/blh8xdr)

If you look at the leaves on my unknown weed they don't show any signs
of being furry/hairy.
Also the flowers are never white, always a purply black and they don't
open up as 'normal' flowers.
It never grows higher than an inch or so.

Although it shares some properties with chickweed there aren't enough to
convince me it's the same plant.

Whatever it is, it should respond to a broad leaf weed killer.
I keep a discarded shower spray bottle full of weed killer mix to zap
occasional weeds I can't identify.

HerbyPeter 27-07-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank (Post 965553)
Whatever it is, it should respond to a broad leaf weed killer.
I keep a discarded shower spray bottle full of weed killer mix to zap
occasional weeds I can't identify.

Would you be so kind as to recommend such a weed killer, Frank?
I have some concerns about potential damage to the grass.

Frank 27-07-2012 12:35 PM

Lawn Weed I cannot identify

On Friday, July 27, 2012 3:53:47 AM UTC-4, HerbyPeter wrote:
Frank;965553 Wrote:
> Whatever it is, it should respond to a broad leaf weed killer.
> I keep a discarded shower spray bottle full of weed killer mix to zap
> occasional weeds I can't identify.
Would you be so kind as to recommend such a weed killer, Frank?
I have some concerns about potential damage to the grass.

HerbyPeter

Using Kmart store brand Broadleaf Weed Killer. I think the Ortho product may be Weed-B-Gone Max. Ingredients are the same. What ever broad leaf weed killer sold in your area should be safe for your turf. They usually contain 2,4D. With products like Weed-B-Gone Max you can google up the label and check it.

HerbyPeter 27-07-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank (Post 965584)
On Friday, July 27, 2012 3:53:47 AM UTC-4, Using Kmart store brand Broadleaf Weed Killer. I think the Ortho product may be Weed-B-Gone Max. Ingredients are the same. What ever broad leaf weed killer sold in your area should be safe for your turf. They usually contain 2,4D. With products like Weed-B-Gone Max you can google up the label and check it.

Ah. I guess you're on the other side of the pond, Frank.
Anyway, I'm listening to your advice and found seven which may be suitable so far.
Come back with my findings.

Frank 27-07-2012 10:47 PM

Lawn Weed I cannot identify

On Friday, July 27, 2012 12:53:49 PM UTC-4, HerbyPeter wrote:
Frank;965584 Wrote: On Friday, July 27, 2012 3:53:47 AM UTC-4, Using Kmart store brand Broadleaf Weed Killer. I think the Ortho product may be Weed-B-Gone Max. Ingredients are the same. What ever broad leaf weed killer sold in your area should be safe for your turf. They usually contain 2,4D. With products like Weed-B-Gone Max you can google up the label and check it. Ah. I guess you're on the other side of the pond, Frank. Anyway, I'm listening to your advice and found seven which may be suitable so far. Come back with my findings. +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ -- HerbyPeter

Yes, I'm in US state of Delaware. The Ortho label lists grasses that the herbicide should not be used on and sometimes gives higher dilution needed for sensitive grasses. In US there are cold season and hot season grasses. I don't knw what the UK grasses are. The old 2,4D is good on most broadleaf weeds but I have problem with ground ivy best treated with their Max product.

HerbyPeter 28-07-2012 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank (Post 965611)
Yes, I'm in US state of Delaware. The Ortho label lists grasses that the herbicide should not be used on and sometimes gives higher dilution needed for sensitive grasses. In US there are cold season and hot season grasses. I don't knw what the UK grasses are. The old 2,4D is good on most broadleaf weeds but I have problem with ground ivy best treated with their Max product.

O.K. Found it!

Prunella vulgaris / Selfheal/ All Heal

Got a larger sample from a neighbour's lawn:

(see attached)

Thanks guys for your suggestions. The answer seems to be Vitax Lawn Clear.