Old 25-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Registered User

Default lawn mower not working

I have accidentally added petrol to the oil tank of a petrol mower I could not find and opening underneath the tank and so tipped it upside down to drain the oil tank ,and then added fresh oil it did work for a little while but now doesn't want to start or it does now and again only for about for 30 seconds and then stops with a fair degree of smoke,could anyone offer me any advice I did have a look at the spark plug and it looked to be quite oily I don't know if this is supposed to be like that,maybe tipping the mower upside down helped oil to spread to other parts of the mower unintended
Old 26-07-2012, 06:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wilson1973 wrote:
I have accidentally added petrol to the oil tank of a petrol mower I
could not find and opening underneath the tank and so tipped it upside
down to drain the oil tank ,and then added fresh oil it did work for a
little while but now doesn't want to start or it does now and again
only for about for 30 seconds and then stops with a fair degree of
smoke,could anyone offer me any advice I did have a look at the spark
plug and it looked to be quite oily I don't know if this is supposed
to be like that,maybe tipping the mower upside down helped oil to
spread to other parts of the mower unintended

Take out the plug and clean it. Clean the air cleaner. Crank the engine a bunch
with the plug out, then reassemble and try again. Try to keep it running until
the smoke quits. Tipping the mower can cause oil to leak out through the intake.
You've got to burn that off.

Old 26-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
wilson1973 wrote:
I have accidentally added petrol to the oil tank of a petrol mower I
could not find and opening underneath the tank and so tipped it upside
down to drain the oil tank ,and then added fresh oil it did work for a
little while but now doesn't want to start or it does now and again
only for about for 30 seconds and then stops with a fair degree of
smoke,could anyone offer me any advice I did have a look at the spark
plug and it looked to be quite oily I don't know if this is supposed
to be like that,maybe tipping the mower upside down helped oil to
spread to other parts of the mower unintended

Take out the plug and clean it. Clean the air cleaner. Crank the engine a bunch
with the plug out, then reassemble and try again. Try to keep it running until
the smoke quits. Tipping the mower can cause oil to leak out through the intake.
You've got to burn that off.
Thanks Bob F I will try that,could you tell me where the air cleaner is on the mower please,by the way I have had a look on the mower I'm not sure of the manufacturer but the engine is called a Briggs and stratton series 220
Old 26-07-2012, 05:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wilson1973 wrote:
Bob F;965459 Wrote:
wilson1973 wrote:-
[...]

The air cleaner is on the carburator, accessed by removing a screw or 2 on the
side, or a wing nut on a top corner and removing the air cleaner cover, in most
cases I've seen. If there's a throttle cable, it goes to the carburator. It is
likely on the other side of the engine from the muffler.

Old 29-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1973 View Post
Thanks Bob F I will try that,could you tell me where the air cleaner is on the mower please,by the way I have had a look on the mower I'm not sure of the manufacturer but the engine is called a Briggs and stratton series 220
The Air Filter will be located on the side, or the top of your Carburettor. On a Briggs and Stratton 220 Series this is where your "Red Primer Button" is for cold starting. See the following link for all your Briggs and Stratton Spare Parts - Briggs & Stratton Spare Parts - Lawnmower World

Briggs and Stratton engines were primarily fitted to Mountfield Lawn Mowers so see the following link for any Mountfield Lawn Mower Spare Parts - Mountfield Spare Parts - Lawnmower World

Regards
L-M-L

Old 29-08-2012, 06:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 26, 8:31*am, wilson1973
wrote:

--
wilson1973- Hide quoted text -

RTFM before you screw it up even more....