GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   debris fell into crankcase- how to remedy? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/204674-debris-fell-into-crankcase-how-remedy.html)

jim-bob 31-07-2012 05:27 PM

debris fell into crankcase- how to remedy?

I changed the starter rope on my Toro today, but I accidently removed the
oil dipstick along with the motor shroud when I was accessing the starter
and debris fell into the exposed oil crankcase. Before I use the mower
again, I need to remedy this situation. I know I'll have to change the oil,
but should I do anything else before adding new oil? thank you

[email protected][_2_] 02-08-2012 04:39 PM

On Jul 31, 12:27*pm, "jim-bob" wrote:
I changed the starter rope on my Toro today, but I accidently removed the
oil dipstick along with the motor shroud when I was accessing the starter
and debris fell into the exposed oil crankcase. *Before I use the mower
again, I need to remedy this situation. *I know I'll have to change the oil,
but should I do anything else before adding new oil? *thank you

You don't say what the "debris" is. If it's just some
grass, dust, etc. then I'd change the oil, refill it, run it
for a few minutes, then change the oil again.

ryncharlton 20-08-2012 11:53 AM

If the Debris is metal or metallic , it could be a idea to lower a magnetic screwdriver down the dipstick hole , or.. if you can get them for mowers and im not sure , a magnetic sump plug is very good , will remove even smallest debris once engine is running again then just clean it at your next oil change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [_2_] (Post 965910)