Old 12-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Registered User

Default My lawn is going patchy!!

My first post. Used to have a really nice green lawn but started to get a bit patch:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...0/photo-64.jpg

Any ideas what's wrong? It tarted off one patch but it's starting to spread. I water and feed the lawn on a regular basis
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[image: http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1.../photo-64.jpg]

Any ideas what's wrong? It tarted off one patch but it's starting to
spread. I water and feed the lawn on a regular basis

Turf insects like sod webworms can do this.
Old 13-08-2012, 06:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

SteveC wrote:
My first post. Used to have a really nice green lawn but started to
get a bit patch:

[image: http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1.../photo-64.jpg]

Any ideas what's wrong? It tarted off one patch but it's starting to
spread. I water and feed the lawn on a regular basis

Have you checked for grubs, or whatever your local lawn pests are?

Old 13-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Registered User

[quote=Frank;966580]On 8/12/2012 2:11 PM, SteveC wrote:
My first post. Used to have a really nice green lawn but started to get
a bit patch:

[image: http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1.../photo-64.jpg]

Any ideas what's wrong? It tarted off one patch but it's starting to
spread. I water and feed the lawn on a regular basis

Turf insects like sod webworms can do this.[/QU
Hi. Might i suggest that you could find the answer on Pg 50 of the book 'The New Lawn Expert' by Dr D J Hessayon. Published by Expert Books. Its about a fiver on Amazon. Well worth buying. It LOOKS from the pictures in the book like 'Red Thread' The treatment being a systemic fungicide such as carbendazim plus other general measures but dont take my word for it!! Might also be useful to put 'Red Thread' into Google and see what comes up. I had this on my lawn and the recommended treatment sorted it. Good luck
Old 15-08-2012, 04:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[image:http://tinyurl.com/co6axky

-
Turf insects like sod webworms can do this.[/QU
Hi. Might i suggest that you could find the answer on Pg 50 of the book
'The New Lawn Expert' by Dr D J Hessayon. *Published by Expert Books.
Its about a fiver on Amazon. Well worth buying. It LOOKS from the
pictures in the book like 'Red Thread'

Nothing in that picture suggests that it's likely to
be Red Thread to me. They are just small dead
areas of turf which could be do to a long list of
possibilities. Additionally, I don't know where the
OP is located, but RT tends to occur at cooler
temps, usually spring and fall. Also, it usually
doesn't kill the grass, it justs effects the tips and
the rest of the plant lives and recovers.

It's easy to identify, because it gets it's name from
the fact that the fungus exhibits as the ends of the
blades shriveling up into what look like red threads.

The treatment being a systemic
fungicide such as carbendazim plus other general measures but dont take
my word for it!!

A general fungicide could be effective against a lot
of fungus diseases, so that could work even without
identifying it. But it could also be insects.

Another thing is what are the watering and fertilizing
practices? It should be watered deep and only
a couple times a week when it needs it. Water so
that the watering finishes around dawn. That way
you minimize evaporation loss and leave the lawn
wet for the shortest amount of time.

Worse thing for most diseases is to leave it wet
overnight, over watering, fertilizing dooring higher
summer temps.

Patchy Lawn carlos1981 Lawns 0 13-04-2009 04:12 PM
Patchy Germination on Reseeded Lawn -- Wait or Panic? BluesCat Lawns 3 18-10-2005 04:20 PM
seeded lawn rather patchy weed Lawns 7 01-06-2005 06:16 PM
patchy Lawn David Lawns 1 17-03-2005 10:23 AM
Reseeding Patchy Lawn - Advice Needed David Gibson United Kingdom 8 24-05-2004 12:09 AM