GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   hi, new and need advice on laying a lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/204811-hi-new-need-advice-laying-lawn.html)

stinky minky 14-08-2012 09:38 AM

hi, new and need advice on laying a lawn

Hi, we have bought a house with a largish back garden which belonged to a old couple for 50+ years, and it was just brambles and weeds in the soil areas. there were 2 garages and shed and a green house, lots of bits of paving.

anyway. I have started digging the garden. I want to lay lawn. I am thinking now I need to take some photos!!

there is a good 2 foot of soil, and then i keep finding a concrete base. I have no idea of what to do. do I need to break this? or should I remove it? we have had no flooding over the last few months, so I am assuming that this could be a good sign?

I will try and upload a photo or two.

thanks for any advice

stinky minky 14-08-2012 10:03 AM

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMGP3928.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMGP3927.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMGP3926.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMGP3925.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMGP3924.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMGP3923.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMGP3922.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMGP3921.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMGP3920.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...h_IMGP3919.jpg

stinky minky 14-08-2012 10:43 AM

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...y/IMGP3923.jpg

[email protected][_2_] 15-08-2012 03:57 PM

hi, new and need advice on laying a lawn

On Aug 14, 5:43*am, stinky minky
wrote:
[image:http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s.../IMGP3923.jpg]

--
stinky minky

The picture doesn't appear to have any relation to the
description. I see what appears to be pavers on the
surface. You said you have two feet of topsoil, then
concrete. If the latter is true and you don't have any
drainage issues, then you can just seed or lay sod.

Willshak 15-08-2012 06:44 PM

stinky minky wrote the following on 8/14/2012 5:43 AM (ET):
[image:
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s.../IMGP3923.jpg]

First, get rid of all the debris and clean up before you think about
growing anything. It's hard to tell what you have there, besides the
debris, that is.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY