Old 20-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Registered User

Question Total Newbie Needs Help

Hi Guys.
So...I've never had a lawn before and the one I've just bought (worry not, there was a house attached) is a mess - even I know that.
A firm is laying a new drive and have quoted me for laying fresh turf as well.
Now...this is how naive I am....
Is laying turf in November a good idea ? I take it for granted that a job like that should be done in the spring.
Old 20-11-2012, 10:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Total Newbie Needs Help

On 11/20/2012 10:09 AM, Paul Haslam wrote:
Hi Guys.
So...I've never had a lawn before and the one I've just bought (worry
not, there was a house attached) is a mess - even I know that.
A firm is laying a new drive and have quoted me for laying fresh turf as
well.
Now...this is how naive I am....
Is laying turf in November a good idea ? I take it for granted that a
job like that should be done in the spring.

It depends on where you are located. The farther north you are, the
farther into winter the season has progressed.
Old 18-12-2012, 07:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
Paul Haslam

Best to ask your local nursery folks.

Old 20-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Banned

Location: Tadcaster, North Yorkshire

November is an ideal time to lay turf as long as the ground is not frozen. This will give the roots a longer time to grow down in to the soil and access water and nutrients when the growing season starts in spring. You will then probably not need to water it when temperatures start to rise.

Hope this helps, Stuart.