Old 05-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Datura

Default Will it hurt to formally shear holly?

Hi ..

I've got some big evergreen holly bushes in the front of my house that need
shaping before they get way out of hand. The only thing I'm worried about
is that they are in the process of producing berries. I don't want to harm
the bush by interrupting some vital process. If I shear/shape now, will it
be ok?

Thanks,
Datura
DFW, Texas

Old 05-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Timothy

On Mon, 05 May 2003 15:19:19 +0000, Datura wrote:

Hi ..

I've got some big evergreen holly bushes in the front of my house that
need shaping before they get way out of hand. The only thing I'm worried
about is that they are in the process of producing berries. I don't want
to harm the bush by interrupting some vital process. If I shear/shape
now, will it be ok?

You can hedge it now. The only issue is that you may trim off this years
berries. I believe that your holly bloomed last month..? Not sure for your
area. Sometimes you have to give up some berries/ flowers this year to get
the shrub under controll. Good luck taming your holly.....
--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Corona pruning shear handle Mel Lawns 2 08-01-2007 12:10 AM
Yaupon Holly (and other holly questions) Susan Hogarth North Carolina 5 11-01-2005 05:16 PM
Shear & Saw Condition Babberney Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Shear & Saw Maintenance Bruce Thomas Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Bush's greedy pollutopn will hurt us all!!! jake alt.forestry 1 17-12-2002 09:09 PM