Old 08-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Registered User

Default Will grass push through top soil

Hi Guys,

For the last couple years, I've spent a lot of time on my lawn getting it to what I think it pretty decent. We had some building work done over winter and as much as I tried to protect it, some areas got a little too much traffic.

I bought in a bulk bag of Baileys of Norfolk 'Turf Renovation Mix' - basically a sandy top dressing. Aerated the lawn and raked and cut it last week. I then went about spreading and brushing in the top dressing. Overseeded it and raked this in. Although I do have a lot of the established grass tips showing through the top dressing, in some areas, particularly the lower spots, it has covered much of the grass.

My question is: Will a good established dwarf creeping rye grass, which was sold as a hard waring type push through a thin top dressing?

I hope so?

Thanks

Mac
Old 08-04-2013, 01:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

macadonald wrote:
My question is: Will a good established dwarf creeping rye grass, which
was sold as a hard waring type push through a thin top dressing?

I hope so?

if it isn't buried too deeply it should
be ok. also if the surrounding grass is ok
and the area is small then it will fill in
from the sides even if it does get smothered.

the only real problem is that gaps like
this are invitations to blowing weed seeds
to get established.

next time, go thinner on the application
and do multiple applications as the grass
gets growing.

this is pretty much the best approach for
applying compost also, a thin layer on top
spread out and then as it disappears add
more if needed.

if you just recently did this you can go
out and rake away some of the extra on top
in the areas that look thick enough to smother
and then it should be ok. give it a good
watering if there hasn't been enough rain.

songbird
Old 08-04-2013, 02:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 8, 8:39*am, songbird wrote:

[...]

It depends on your definition of "thin". If thin is 1/4",
then yes. If thin is 1", then no.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 8, 5:06*pm, songbird wrote:
wrote:
songbird wrote:

* this is pretty much the best approach for
applying compost also, a thin layer on top
spread out and then as it disappears add
more if needed.

It depends on your definition of "thin". *If thin is 1/4",
then yes. *If thin is 1", then no.

* yes, indeed, 1" of compost or grass clippings
at a time is overdoing it. *1/4" to 1/2" is
what i've most seen recommended.

* thanks for clarifying.

* songbird

Depends on the grass type. It's common around here for nutsedge (a
grass looking weed common in some lawns) to push thru 1" of paved
asphalt.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
songbird wrote:

* this is pretty much the best approach for
applying compost also, a thin layer on top
spread out and then as it disappears add
more if needed.

It depends on your definition of "thin". *If thin is 1/4",
then yes. *If thin is 1", then no.

* yes, indeed, 1" of compost or grass clippings
at a time is overdoing it. *1/4" to 1/2" is
what i've most seen recommended.

* thanks for clarifying.

* songbird

Depends on the grass type. *It's common around here for nutsedge (a
grass looking weed common in some lawns) to push thru 1" of paved
asphalt.- Hide quoted text -

Most people don't sow nutsedge: