Old 15-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Registered User

Default Sowing a lawn - Help needed!!

Hi all. I need some help. I'm trying to sow part of my lawn that is bare and have put some top soil down on it but having spent hours de-clumping it there are now hundreds or even thousands of small marble sized balls of top soil all over it from the left overs of breaking down the clumps. The whole point of doing this other than obviously that top soil is needed anyway, was to cover up lots of small stones that were underneath it, but now I have the equivalent of those stones only as hard pieces of clumped top soil. What I want to know is, do I need to get rid of all these small balls of top soil or is it OK to sow the seed on it anyway? Also I am half contemplating turfing it as I'm not sure I want to wait for the grass to grow from seed (I have a young family and could do with the lawn for the summer), but in this case does the same still apply ie. would i have to get rid of the balls first? Any thoughts gratefully appreciated. Thanks.
Old 15-04-2013, 03:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Ben Emms wrote:
[...]

Just roll them in with a lawn roller. then very lightly rake the surface with a
leaf rake to loosen just enough soil to cover the seed. Rake the seed in, roll
again lightly, and you're on your way.

Old 15-04-2013, 10:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Ben Emms wrote:

[...]

dirt clods will break down eventually. rolling
the area will compress them into the soil, but
it's not needed and soil compaction won't help
grass grow.

newly seeded grass will not be able to handle a
large amount of traffic until after it is well
established.

mow it regularly (set on fairly high setting) once
it sprouts and keep it watered this summer if it
gets too dry.

songbird
Old 16-04-2013, 12:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

songbird wrote:
dirt clods will break down eventually. rolling
the area will compress them into the soil, but
it's not needed and soil compaction won't help
grass grow.

Rolling makes really obvious where the high and low spots are. It doesn't take a
heavy roller either.

Old 29-04-2013, 07:24 AM
thomaspoul's Avatar
Registered User

Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
Ben Emms wrote:

[...]

it could be little tough for you anyway.......good luck.

Advice needed on sowing seeds tarantula_123 Edible Gardening 7 21-03-2012 02:45 AM
Sowing phalaenopsis ; sowing medium question Aaron Hicks Orchids 4 03-11-2004 01:54 AM
Sowing help needed! nmorgan Lawns 2 25-09-2003 04:32 PM
Lawn sowing Richard United Kingdom 8 09-05-2003 08:56 AM
Sowing Lawn - Staffordshire Area paul.bennett United Kingdom 1 31-03-2003 06:44 PM