Old 05-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Newf

Default 12 Hp Briggs & Stratton Idle Problems

I Have a 12Hp B&S engine on my lawn Tractor. The carb was just
refurbished and put back on. The engine is surging and blue flames are
coming out of the exhaust. Any ideas as to how to fix the problem?
Maybe some sort of carb adjustment.

Leo

Old 05-05-2003, 10:56 PM

Newf wrote:
I Have a 12Hp B&S engine on my lawn Tractor. The carb was just

refurbished and put back on. The engine is surging and blue flames are
coming out of the exhaust. Any ideas as to how to fix the problem?
Maybe some sort of carb adjustment.

Is the choke open?

--
God Bless America - http://members.aol.com/flyitproudly/flag.html

------------------- http://NewsReader.Com/ --------------------
go #40 Usenet Newsgroup Service
Old 05-05-2003, 10:56 PM
not me

with out actually seeing and hearing the unit it could be a carb adjustment.
depending on the model you have the carb could be all fixed jetting (means
you cant adjust the fuel air mixture) or have just a low speed fuel air
mixture with a fixed high speed jet or have both high and low speed fuel air
mixture adjustments. but usually if the flame is blowing out of the muffler
it could be a sign the exhaust valve is not seating properly.
question what was wrong with the old carb? if the old carb was worn out such
as the throttle shaft that could be possible from it ingesting dirt and if
dirt made it into the carb it did not stop there it will have gone into the
engine and worn parts there as well. who refurbished the carb? who installed
it?if you paid to have the carb installed take it back to them to fix it
properly. How old is the unit? Does it blow flame out all the time? when
hot? cold? idle? full speed?

Old 05-05-2003, 10:57 PM
Tim Fischer

"Newf" wrote in message
I Have a 12Hp B&S engine on my lawn Tractor. The carb was just
refurbished and put back on. The engine is surging and blue flames are
coming out of the exhaust. Any ideas as to how to fix the problem?
Maybe some sort of carb adjustment.

If it were my mower I'd start with the guy who refurbished the carb...

-Tim

Old 05-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Ken Shelton

Could be a burnt valve, does it make a popping noise too ?

Ken Shelton

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=8825968