Old 05-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Anatase

Default My plan of attack on our English Ivy

I had ~900 sqf and it took me 2 weeks ridding all the layers of 300sqf of
it. 1 year later I now have 650sqf to get rid of. I pulled the 300 sqf out
by hand and ready to research a better alternative. I don't want to rent
machinery as it's on a slope and would like to retain the stability. But I
can walk the slope so Im proposing that I have a go at it with a gas weed
eater with those heavy duty blades. Pull back the layers and start again.
then yank out the master roots.

Question here is will the gas weedeater with those blades or better be
suitable for this attack?

Old 05-05-2003, 11:57 PM

"Anatase" wrote:
I had ~900 sqf and it took me 2 weeks ridding all the layers of 300sqf

of it. 1 year later I now have 650sqf to get rid of. I pulled the 300 sqf
out by hand and ready to research a better alternative. I don't want to
rent machinery as it's on a slope and would like to retain the stability.
But I can walk the slope so Im proposing that I have a go at it with a
gas weed eater with those heavy duty blades. Pull back the layers and
start again. then yank out the master roots.

Question here is will the gas weedeater with those blades or better be
suitable for this attack?

Have you considered multiple roundup applications in the spring?

Your only gonna prune it with a wacker.

--
Don't crush em..restore em.
------------------- http://NewsReader.Com/ --------------------
Old 05-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Anatase

I tried the round up, there seems to be too many layers, and keeps going :-P

As for the wacker I spose I'm mainly curious if they are 'strong & sturdy'
enough to cut through the vines so I can make a square cut at a time and
pull the rest out. Mainly concerned about the abilities of the wacker before
I go out and buy one. I know the wire fed won't be anywhere near suitable
:-)

Old 05-05-2003, 11:57 PM

"Anatase" wrote:
I tried the round up, there seems to be too many layers, and keeps going

:-P

Is it near tees?

Old 05-05-2003, 11:57 PM

wrote:
"Anatase" wrote:
I tried the round up, there seems to be too many layers, and keeps
going

:-P

Is it near tees?

Or trees?

--------------------
http://NewsReader.Com/ --------------------

Old 05-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Anatase

it used to be trees :P. i took care of that too.
It is near a large number of older trees cedar etc.

Old 05-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Die Spammer !!!

Anatase wrote:

I had ~900 sqf and it took me 2 weeks ridding all the layers of 300sqf of
it. 1 year later I now have 650sqf to get rid of. I pulled the 300 sqf out
by hand and ready to research a better alternative. I don't want to rent
machinery as it's on a slope and would like to retain the stability. But I
can walk the slope so Im proposing that I have a go at it with a gas weed
eater with those heavy duty blades. Pull back the layers and start again.
then yank out the master roots.

Question here is will the gas weedeater with those blades or better be
suitable for this attack?

Hedge trimmers are made for that, but if ya can't find a long enough
electrical cord or cordless trimmers, a weed wacker with a blade should do the
trick and Roundup is weak and would be a waste of money. The ivy would
probably take the Round-Up like it was candy.

Old 05-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Tomes

I'd try to till it with a pitchfork or better and then yank out all the now
loosened roots.
Tomes

:

Old 05-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Anatase

Yep exactly how I ripped it out last year. twas lots of work :P
I'll still do that but mix in the whacker.

.. .

Anatase wrote in message
: I had ~900 sqf and it took me 2 weeks ridding all the layers of 300sqf

of
: it. 1 year later I now have 650sqf to get rid of. I pulled the 300 sqf

out
: by hand and ready to research a better alternative. I don't want to rent
: machinery as it's on a slope and would like to retain the stability. But

: can walk the slope so Im proposing that I have a go at it with a gas

weed
: eater with those heavy duty blades. Pull back the layers and start

again.
: then yank out the master roots.
:
: Question here is will the gas weedeater with those blades or better be
: suitable for this attack?
:
:

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 10:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 12:22 PM
new juniper - stressed - need help with plan of attack John Dhom Bonsai 3 11-08-2005 02:25 AM
[IBC] new juniper - stressed - need help with plan of attack Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 10-08-2005 09:16 PM
My plan of attack on our English Ivy Anatase Lawns 8 01-12-2002 07:25 AM