Old 05-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Eddie G

Default Am I stuck with builder's Towel Bar?

I have a towel bar in my bathroom that was here when we bought the house. I
believe it is the builder's standard (the house is approx. 6 years old). It
is a plastic bar and the holders look to be ceramic squares. They seem to
be fused somehow to the wall. I really hate it and want to replace it, but
I am afraid that if I just pull with all my strength, I will take half the
wall down with me. Does anyone know an easy way to get these standard towel
bars off the wall without damaging the wall too much? Is it as simple as
pulling up and away, or are they permanently glued on? The same goes for
the toilet paper holders. Please help!

Michelle

Old 05-05-2003, 11:58 PM

"Eddie G" wrote:
I have a towel bar in my bathroom that was here when we bought the house.
I believe it is the builder's standard (the house is approx. 6 years
old). It is a plastic bar and the holders look to be ceramic squares.
They seem to be fused somehow to the wall. I really hate it and want to
replace it, but I am afraid that if I just pull with all my strength, I
will take half the wall down with me. Does anyone know an easy way to
get these standard towel bars off the wall without damaging the wall too
much? Is it as simple as pulling up and away, or are they permanently
glued on? The same goes for the toilet paper holders. Please help!

Michelle

Is it stuck on ceramic tile,Michelle?

--
-------------------http://NewsReader.Com/------------------
50GB/Month(nntp/web)
Old 05-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Goob

If it is on drywall. Take a utility knife and trace around the
holder. Cut just deep enough to cut the top layer of paper.
Then carefully pull the holder off.

You will have to patch the area with some drywall mudd.
Then sand the area after it is dry. This should minimize the damage
to the wall.

Goob
Old 05-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Jeff Cochran

I have a towel bar in my bathroom that was here when we bought the house. I
believe it is the builder's standard (the house is approx. 6 years old). It
is a plastic bar and the holders look to be ceramic squares. They seem to
be fused somehow to the wall. I really hate it and want to replace it, but
I am afraid that if I just pull with all my strength, I will take half the
wall down with me. Does anyone know an easy way to get these standard towel
bars off the wall without damaging the wall too much? Is it as simple as
pulling up and away, or are they permanently glued on? The same goes for
the toilet paper holders. Please help!

These are usually set with the same mortar or mastic holding the
adjacent tile. You can try scraping the grout from around it, then
carefully prying it loose, but be prepared to do some wall repair as
well as patch the now-missing tile.

Jeff
Old 30-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Mack

Jeff Cochran wrote in message
[...]

Towel bars and soap holders are mortared in with thinset (a portland cement
variation) and hold like crazy. Having done quite a few remodelings and
repairs the easiest and best way I found to take out is to break it into
pieces with a hammer. I realize this sounds harsh and drastic but the damage
is actually less this way than a seemingly more civilized methode of cutting
and pulling it off.
Mack