Old 26-06-2013, 01:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default GFI Caused a Fire!

My neighbor just suffered a serious fire. His house had an enclosed
porch at the rear, with an open, roofed desk connected to the porch
rear. He had several GFI breakers out there, including one on the
rear porch wall. Around one AM, when he and family were asleep,
a fire started at that GFI switch (according to Fire Marshall), and
got going pretty good before their dog started barking. That saved
their lives for sure. Almost killed their dog and cat, though. The
fire badly burned the rear half of the house and sent black soot
throughout the rest of the house. The house is pretty well totaled.

That's what happened. I have to wonder how a GFI could do that!
I heard the Fire Marshall actually say that what happened was the GFI
wires arced, but that was not a 'short' to the GFI. Hence it didn't
trip. So, the GFI presented no protection did it! The arcing just
continued until it started the fire!

All this makes me think that my GFIs are not providing me the
protection I always thought they did. I'm not sleeping as well these
days.

Anyone have an opinion about this?

Thanks

me

Old 26-06-2013, 01:53 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
[...]

Sounds to me like the wiring to the GFI shorted, not the GFI. Wiring to a
regular outlet could do exactly the same if mis-wired.

Old 27-06-2013, 01:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
[...]

Can you find out from your neighbor what brand it was, and if anything was plugged in at the time? I've got GFI's in the kitchen and one of them trips from time to time with nothing plugged in.

Old 27-06-2013, 11:54 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 16:57:04 -0700, "Guv Bob"

[...]

Possibly. He and his family are living in temporary house several
miles away, and I haven't seen him much since the fire. I am sure I
will, though,

One post in this series seemed to intimate that replacing breakers
may be a waste if one's house wiring uses what he called a 'common
ground'. I need to determine what that is, and if I have same.

I have three breaker boxes, one for my generator. None have any
special breakers. I am not too comfortable with all this.

me
Old 27-06-2013, 12:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[...]

See more lengthy posts in another newsgroup - alt.home.repair

me

Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 6/25/2013 6:29 PM, wrote:
[...]

How about ants? I've found that they like nesting in my GFI outlet I
have outside by my pond.

JB

Replacing Another GFI Today JB[_6_] Ponds (moderated) 2 06-05-2011 10:59 PM
GFI is tripping--- Joan Ponds 28 15-07-2004 06:03 AM
MagDrive pump is tripping GFI....time to replace? Jay Adair Ponds 15 27-02-2004 06:37 AM
MagDrive pump is tripping GFI....time to replace? Jay Adair Ponds 0 24-02-2004 06:29 PM
McNally fire salvage was Extreme fire danger! Larry Harrell alt.forestry 0 31-07-2003 03:02 PM