Old 05-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Paul Lehmann

Default Black Locust Problem

I have been reading the thread about the Pine tree.

I have a similiar problem. The difference is that it is a Black Locust
tree on unmaintained City property adjacent to my property. The tree is
very efficient in producing offspring which are trying to invade my yard.
The city refuses to do ANY maintenance on this adjoining property. I am
thinking of killing the tree. What is the best way? Could I drill a hole
near the base and use salt or a herbicide? Any other recommendations?

BTW. I have planted trees on the city property and I would plant another
kind of tree to take the place of the locust tree that might die of
mysterious causes.

I am using bio-terrorism on another section of unmaintained city property
adjacent to mine that has some real eyesores that the city refuses to
remove. I planted the most invasive bamboo I could find.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Die Spammer

how big are these trees? it's not the trees that are the problem right?
maybe see if they will let you spray the tree(s).

trees are good. locusts would be interesting but not if they are detroying my
yard. there is some form of locust spray you could use I'm sure. Malathion?

Old 05-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Paul Lehmann

Die Spammer wrote:

how big are these trees? it's not the trees that are the problem right?
maybe see if they will let you spray the tree(s).

There are several trees. A couple of them are about 8 inches in diameter
and about 40 feet tall. Others are not as tall but the problem with the
shorter ones is the thorns on the branches and their prolific growth. I
don't think I can adequately control new trees without getting rid of the
older trees.

Paul Lehmann wrote:

I have been reading the thread about the Pine tree.

I have a similiar problem. The difference is that it is a Black Locust
tree on unmaintained City property adjacent to my property. The tree is
very efficient in producing offspring which are trying to invade my yard.
The city refuses to do ANY maintenance on this adjoining property. I am
thinking of killing the tree. What is the best way? Could I drill a hole
near the base and use salt or a herbicide? Any other recommendations?

BTW. I have planted trees on the city property and I would plant another
kind of tree to take the place of the locust tree that might die of
mysterious causes.

I am using bio-terrorism on another section of unmaintained city property
adjacent to mine that has some real eyesores that the city refuses to
remove. I planted the most invasive bamboo I could find.

Will a Black Locust grow in S. Texas? Jim Caldwell Gardening 5 14-05-2004 03:05 PM
Black Locust Bill North Carolina 3 19-08-2003 04:22 AM
Black Locust Bill North Carolina 0 18-08-2003 04:02 AM
Black Locust Bill North Carolina 0 18-08-2003 03:56 AM
Black Locust Problem Paul Lehmann Lawns 2 07-03-2003 12:10 PM