Old 05-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Dave

Default Overseeding procedure

Hi, I have a small row home in Maryland. since the snow is finally melting,
I've started to think of the lawn. The grass on my small lawn is pretty
thin so I would like to over seed. What is the best procedure for doing
this. can the seed be applied directly to the soft wet topsoil or should I
attempt to agitate the surface first. Also, what is a good starter
fertilizer.

thanks
dave

Old 05-05-2003, 10:58 PM

"Dave" wrote:
Hi, I have a small row home in Maryland. since the snow is finally
melting, I've started to think of the lawn. The grass on my small lawn
is pretty thin so I would like to over seed. What is the best procedure
for doing this. can the seed be applied directly to the soft wet topsoil
or should I attempt to agitate the surface first.

Yes,it's best to score the soil first. Rent a slice seeder,or at least a
de-thatcher. Don't do it until it dries out some. Maybe wait a week or two.

Also, what is a good
starter fertilizer.

10-18-10 or 12-12-12 or 19-19-19 have all worked well for me. Take the
first number on the bag(no matter which) and divide it in half..that's how
many sq ft that bag will do at a generous rate.

Email me if you need more help. (remove nospam)

--
Go#40 42 12
http://NewsReader.Com/