Old 20-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Registered User

Default briggs engine oil seeping past piston

hi all, first post here and as lots of 1st time posters do, i come here with a problem. sorry : (

i have fuel and a spark gettting to my etesia briggs quantum powered mower though it will not start. i thought maybe i had sheared the woodruff key so ive taken the fly wheel off and its fine. what i have noticed is that oil is seeping past the piston rings though i am thinking surely this would just make it run rough and not stop it from starting completely...?

any ideas appreciated.

will definitely be back to talk plants later when i have resolved this oily problem!
Old 21-08-2013, 05:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"courierdude" wrote in message

hi all, first post here and as lots of 1st time posters do, i come here
with a problem. sorry : (

i have fuel and a spark gettting to my etesia briggs quantum powered
mower though it will not start. i thought maybe i had sheared the
woodruff key so ive taken the fly wheel off and its fine. what i have
noticed is that oil is seeping past the piston rings though i am
thinking surely this would just make it run rough and not stop it from
starting completely...?

any ideas appreciated.

will definitely be back to talk plants later when i have resolved this
oily problem!

My son had a problem similar to this. I looked at it and the air filter had
saturated with oil and no air could get to the engine. Leave the filter
element out and see if the engine will start.
I don' t think the oil was getting past the piston as the engine only had
about 5 hours of run time. I think it was sucked in from the ventilation
tube from the crank case to the air inlet but could be wrong on this.

Old 21-08-2013, 02:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Ralph Mowery wrote:
My son had a problem similar to this. I looked at it and the air filter had
saturated with oil and no air could get to the engine. Leave the filter
element out and see if the engine will start.
I don' t think the oil was getting past the piston as the engine only had
about 5 hours of run time. I think it was sucked in from the ventilation
tube from the crank case to the air inlet but could be wrong on this.

[not related to the OP's post, but it might
be helpful to know for the future]

some mowers will leak oil if tipped too far.
ours will saturate the air filter with oil if
tipped to one side (but not the other).

it just may be that the mower was tipped
during transport and will be ok otherwise.

songbird
Old 21-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
Ralph Mowery wrote:
My son had a problem similar to this. I looked at it and the air filter had
saturated with oil and no air could get to the engine. Leave the filter
element out and see if the engine will start.
I don' t think the oil was getting past the piston as the engine only had
about 5 hours of run time. I think it was sucked in from the ventilation
tube from the crank case to the air inlet but could be wrong on this.

[not related to the OP's post, but it might
be helpful to know for the future]

some mowers will leak oil if tipped too far.
ours will saturate the air filter with oil if
tipped to one side (but not the other).

it just may be that the mower was tipped
during transport and will be ok otherwise.

songbird

i wished it was a problem with the filter!!

i have it in bits already, engine out and split on the bench.
i'll get back to it this evening to see if ive snapped a piston ring or something.

this mower has had a hard life. 4 years old but used for 5/6 hours 3-4 days a weeks during the growing season.

up until 4am last night googling briggs piston rings!

thanks for your suggestions already : )
Old 22-08-2013, 12:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"courierdude" wrote in message

this mower has had a hard life. 4 years old but used for 5/6 hours 3-4

days a weeks during the growing season.

You have almost 2000 hours on that engine. It probably has outlived its
life. Time for new rings, maybe the cylinder is egg shaped.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:22 AM
Registered User

youre correct ralph

bore was worn and being an aluminium bore cannot be rebored and has scores that are too deep to be honed...

off to the recycling centre it goes!

not a good way to build a commercial mower engine!
Old 21-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Banned

Location: Waltham

Quote:
Originally Posted by courierdude View Post
hi all, first post here and as lots of 1st time posters do, i come here with a problem. sorry : (

i have fuel and a spark gettting to my etesia briggs quantum powered mower though it will not start. i thought maybe i had sheared the woodruff key so ive taken the fly wheel off and its fine. what i have noticed is that oil is seeping past the piston rings though i am thinking surely this would just make it run rough and not stop it from starting completely...?

any ideas appreciated.

will definitely be back to talk plants later when i have resolved this oily problem!
i have found its often cheaper to buy a new mower than repair it when the engine has internal problems like piston rings