Old 24-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Registered User

Default Advice On Servicing Jonsered LR10

Hi everyone, this is my first post on these forums and hopefully I will find lots of helpful advice here and maybe later on even be able to offer some myself.

Anyway, I have just inherited my parents property which has a third of an acre back garden which is mostly lawn and trees. There used to be quite a few flower beds dotted around but as my parents grew older and less able to manage they grassed most of them over. My father had a Jonsered LR10 ride on mower (with 12hp B&S engine) which I have also inherited. The mower is in good working order but I feel it needs a good service and some maintenance which I intend to do in the autumn when it won't be needed for a few months.

The mower deck has lost all it's black paint and has a lot of surface rust so I intend to remove that and clean it up before giving it a coat of black Hamerite to protect it. However, I was just wondering if anyone can offer any advice as to what I should be doing to service it. Obviously an oil change which goes without saying and I have only recently changed the spark plug and I will obviously either sharpen or replace the blade depending on it's condition but what else should I be checking, adjusting or replacing. Are there bearings that are prone to wear that should be checked and what about linkages etc.

If anyone could offer any advice on this I would be very grateful.

Russell
Old 24-08-2013, 11:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

RussellS wrote:
[...]

Just the usual maintenance for parts that wear or get dirty.
Air filter, belts, pulley bearings, grease fittings, blade sharpening, etc.
The appearance of the machine does not have anything to do with how it
works. My over 20 year old garden tractor looks like shit but still cuts
grass.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 25-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshak View Post
RussellS wrote:
[...]

I wasn't concerned about the appearance but rather the fact that the mower deck has a lot of surface rust. So I wanted to get the wire brush on it to remove as much surface rust as possible and then give it a coat of rust proofing paint to protect it and prevent the rust penetrating right through the metal.

Other than that I just wondered if there was anything other than the normal routine stuff that I should be looking out for on my particular model.
Old 30-08-2013, 06:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Saturday, August 24, 2013 8:11:58 AM UTC-4, RussellS wrote:
[...]

IDK about that specific make/model, but any belts should be checked
for wear. And the air filter element should be cleaned or replaced.
Tire pressure? Battery, if it's not maintenance free.
The owner's manual would be the place to start.
If you don't have it, good chance you can find it online.

jonsered? gump Lawns 1 05-05-2003 11:58 PM
Servicing sprinkler systems Patch Lawns 3 27-04-2003 03:09 PM
Lawn Mower Servicing Harry Rogers United Kingdom 16 18-04-2003 09:20 AM
jonsered? gump Lawns 1 16-03-2003 10:32 PM
Jonsered Iron Horse Jerry Mohlman alt.forestry 0 25-12-2002 08:01 PM