Old 24-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Registered User

Default Newbie with couple of probs with new turf

Hi all total newbie to any type of gardening so please be gental I recently layed new turf preped the ground getting rid of as much weeds as possible then added couple tonne of topsoil to level
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/...ps28cc877a.jpg
Then layed the turf and it went down well
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1d2c45e6.jpg
Now after 4 weeks of being down I am having a few problems the turf itself is growing really well and is rooted nicely got 2 weed type problems
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/...pse7f7435c.jpg
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/...psecd8544f.jpg
And these are close ups of the leaves
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/...ps75647860.jpghttp://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/...ps69ca272a.jpg
If anyone could tell me what they are and the best way to get rid would really help the first weed is also pushing up the turf in one place also
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/...ps27dfbcb3.jpg
Noticed a lump when mowed last so cut the turf to release the weed/pressure (right/wrong ?) also have a couple of patches that seemed to have died but are slowly coming back http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/...ps781fccd4.jpg
This patch was a lot bigger but slowly shrinking but another patch is not getting any better so I need to know
1 what weeds are they and how to get rid
2 how to make the patches grow again thanks all and sorry for the long post
Old 25-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Registered User

Anybody ?
Also I was told you could inject something like round up into the centre of the weed without it affecting the grass is this the case or will it seep out through the roots into the soil and affect the grass many thanks all for looking
Old 25-08-2013, 04:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Mike1975 wrote:
Anybody ?
Also I was told you could inject something like round up into the
centre of the weed without it affecting the grass is this the case or
will it seep out through the roots into the soil and affect the grass
many thanks all for looking

You can use weed-b-gon or a similar lawn weed killer to kill broadleaf weeds in
grass lawns. Roundup will kill any grass it gets on.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...x=&startPage=1

Old 26-08-2013, 02:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Mike1975 said:

Anybody ?
Also I was told you could inject something like round up into the
centre
of the weed without it affecting the grass is this the case or will it
seep out through the roots into the soil and affect the grass many
thanks all for looking

It looks like you did not entirely kill off the weeds/weedy grasses
that were growing there before you laid the sod. One of the photos
show a resprouting weed pushing up the sod.

Hand-removal or spot application of a broad-leaf weed killer will
take care of the non-grassy weeds. The grassy weed is going to be
harder to control. You could try *carefully* wiping only the fast
growing weedy grass with an sponge brush dipped in Round-up.
Avoid getting any onto the desirable grass--Round-up will kill it, too.

If you ever take on a similar project again, I'd recommend getting
the weedy area into luxurious growth and hitting it with Round-up.
Rake it off, wait to see if any new growth shows, and hit it again.

*Then* add top soil/ till/level prior to laying sod.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 28-08-2013, 02:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Monday, August 26, 2013 8:27:49 AM UTC-4, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Mike1975 said:

Anybody ?

Also I was told you could inject something like round up into the

centre

of the weed without it affecting the grass is this the case or will it

seep out through the roots into the soil and affect the grass many

thanks all for looking

It looks like you did not entirely kill off the weeds/weedy grasses

that were growing there before you laid the sod. One of the photos

show a resprouting weed pushing up the sod.

It's also possible it came with the new turf.

Hand-removal or spot application of a broad-leaf weed killer will

take care of the non-grassy weeds.

+1 I'd apply a broadleaf weedkiller for lawns with a tank
sprayer to those weeds. They are easy to deal with.

The grassy weed is going to be

harder to control. You could try *carefully* wiping only the fast

growing weedy grass with an sponge brush dipped in Round-up.

Avoid getting any onto the desirable grass--Round-up will kill it, too.

+1. The tall thing looks like some kind of undesirable
grass. There are selective herbicides that will kill some of those,
but not many types. And even if it exists, it's typically expensive,
not sold in homeowner quantities, may need a license, etc. You're
not going to find it at the local garden store.

If there are just a few of those here and there, the above sponge approach is
the way to go. Above all, you don't want that stuff to go to seed
and spread. It may spread without going to see too, so the faster
you deal with it, the better. If it covers a whole spot, then you
can hit the one spot with roundup which will kill everything. Then
put in a new section of turf or re-seed when you're sure it's dead,
which usually takes a week or 10 days.

Old 21-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Banned

Location: Waltham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1975 View Post
[...]
I would be careful using a lawn weedkiller on new turf under 6 months old.

Organic Turf / Pesticide Free Turf Mj62 Lawns 7 06-02-2011 07:57 PM
Turf on top of turf flashman Lawns 5 09-03-2006 11:10 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 02:08 PM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 12:20 PM
Tree probs caused by Ivy Mike United Kingdom 8 02-03-2003 08:59 AM