Old 05-05-2003, 11:58 PM

Default B&S starter mechanism and throttle questions

New poster here and not sure if I'm in the right group for these
questions. If not, maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

What causes the "screaming/screeching" of the starter mechanism on an
old Briggs and Stratton engine (while engine is running)? The kind
that sometimes results in a "backlash" (for lack of a better term) of
the starter rope around its pulley. I've seen several mowers do this
occasionally but I've never seen FAQ maintenance tips regarding
prevention. I suspect the ratchet mechanism is the culprit but upon
inspection (spinning it by hand with cowling removed) I've seen
nothing wrong with it. I've tried lubricating mine but doesn't seem
to help.

Also, when removing the starter pulley (to untangle the backlash or
replace the spring), the metal retainer tabs will eventually break
off. Anybody have a fix for broken tabs, short of buying a new
cowling?

And while I'm on the engine topic, I've recently been shopping for
another small, simple, cheap, push mower. I'm astonished to find the
new designs have no throttle on the handle. What's up with that? Sales
people I've talked with (Walmart, Kmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc)
can't answer why a throttle is no longer standard design nor whether
or not I can add one myself (kit for extra $$ maybe?). They simply
tell me I don't need a throttle, at which point I move one with my
search (whether I need one or not, I *want* a throttle). Anybody here
ever jury rig a throttle one one of these new throttleless designs?
Seems simple enough but I haven't looked closely at it yet.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Rick

Old 05-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Dr. Doctor

the starter clutch has a wick in them to keep them lubed, when they start to
scream it means they are no longer lubricated / became rusty / have some
type of dirt in them. to clean them you want to clean up the shaft part of
the crankshaft that goes inside them with a fine emery cloth, you will also
have to clean the inside of the clutch where the shaft fits into. lube it
up. this does not always work and you are only left with replacing the
clutch. as for the tabs on the shroud they come with 4 use only 2 at a time
and when 3 have broken off it is replace it or have someone weld tabs back
on

hope that answers your questions.

Old 05-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Chip Stein

What causes the "screaming/screeching" of the starter mechanism on an
old Briggs and Stratton engine (while engine is running)? The kind
that sometimes results in a "backlash" (for lack of a better term) of
the starter rope around its pulley. I've seen several mowers do this
occasionally but I've never seen FAQ maintenance tips regarding
prevention. I suspect the ratchet mechanism is the culprit but upon
inspection (spinning it by hand with cowling removed) I've seen
nothing wrong with it. I've tried lubricating mine but doesn't seem
to help.

you need to pull the starter clutch off and clean it out, and re
lube the crankshaft stub. it's the crank sticking to the inside of the
clutch.

Also, when removing the starter pulley (to untangle the backlash or
replace the spring), the metal retainer tabs will eventually break
off. Anybody have a fix for broken tabs, short of buying a new
cowling?

All briggs motors come with multiple tabs for just such an occasion.
Use the extras when the originals break off. Stens corporation make
plastic pieses that lock onto the cowling that fix it when you use up
all of them.

And while I'm on the engine topic, I've recently been shopping for
another small, simple, cheap, push mower. I'm astonished to find the
new designs have no throttle on the handle. What's up with that? Sales
people I've talked with (Walmart, Kmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc)
can't answer why a throttle is no longer standard design nor whether
or not I can add one myself (kit for extra $$ maybe?). They simply
tell me I don't need a throttle, at which point I move one with my
search (whether I need one or not, I *want* a throttle). Anybody here
ever jury rig a throttle one one of these new throttleless designs?
Seems simple enough but I haven't looked closely at it yet.

lawnmowers are designed to run at full throttle. there is never a
good reason to run a mower at anything less!!!!!
Chip
Old 05-05-2003, 11:58 PM

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:52:31 GMT, "Dr. Doctor" wrote:
clean up the shaft part of
the crankshaft that goes inside them with a fine emery cloth, you will also
have to clean the inside of the clutch where the shaft fits into

It's been a while since I've had it off, but I don't remember the
crankshaft fitting up into it. Seems to me the clutch just screws into
the flywheel. I'll take a look later today. Here's a picture of it on
this parts list (you have to scroll down a little). Is this the same
kind of starter clutch you're describing?
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/BS4.cfm

you are only left with replacing the
clutch.

Guess that's what I'll do then. It's just that it seems to spin
(ratchet) pretty easily ... I guess not easily enough though shrug.

as for the tabs on the shroud they come with 4 use only 2 at a time
and when 3 have broken off it is replace it

Mine had only 3 to begin with, 2 right next to each other, and it
takes 2 (one on each side) to retain the pulley. I've long since
broken one of the 2 that are close together, so the next one that goes
will cause the problem (and it'll take only one or two more bendings
to break it off). Seems like it would've been simple to design a
better system. Then again, I guess you get what you pay for.

or have someone weld tabs back
on

Thanks. I'll check into that.

hope that answers your questions.

Yep. Thanks for the come back.

Rick

Old 05-05-2003, 11:58 PM

On 25 Mar 2003 18:45:33 -0800, chip wrote:
What causes the "screaming/screeching" of the starter mechanism

lube the crankshaft stub. it's the crank sticking to the inside of the
clutch.

ok, thanks.
I'll have a looksee later today.

Anybody have a fix for broken tabs, short of buying a new
cowling?

Stens corporation make
plastic pieses that lock onto the cowling that fix it

Great!
I figured there must be a simple fix *somewhere*.
Thanks :-)

whether I need one or not, I *want* a throttle

lawnmowers are designed to run at full throttle. there is never a
good reason to run a mower at anything less!!!!!

That's fine most of the time but when I come across a patch of thin
grass and dirt, I might like to slow it down to prevent kicking up a
cloud of dust. And especially if there's some gravel imbedded. Slowing
down can make the difference between saving my blade while getting the
grass cut vs slinging gravel all over the place. Frankly, I use my
throttle to slow down for other reasons as well.

Thanks for the tab tip ;-)
I'll try to find Stens on the web.

Rick