Old 05-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Matthew Harelick

Default Lawn growth, restoration, etc

Hi:

I am a new homeowner. Our Lawn is dead. There are spots of grass
and
large spots of dirt. Several things contributed to this condition.

1. When we moved in in May we just didn't have the time to think about
the
Lawn.

2. The previous owners parked their cars on the lawn.

3. We live in the Northeast and had a drought and of course water
restrictions.

I would like to restore the lawn. I personally don't care if I have a
mix of things like clovers and dandelions in the lawn, I just don't
want raw dirt.
I do want a low maintenance type of lawn, one that once its grown can
survive a drought.

How do I start fixing the situation, and when should I start? Is this
week (or next ) a good time?

Thank You

Matthew
Old 05-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Tim Fischer

"Matthew Harelick" wrote in message
om...

How do I start fixing the situation, and when should I start? Is this
week (or next ) a good time?

This depends on your climate. Here in Minnesota, we've had April blizzards
in the past. At the current time, it seems like it would be ideal for lawn
repair (in fact I've done quite a bit of yard work already) but the weather
can turn at any time.

Also, our average date for a "last hard freeze" is the second week of May.

So if your climate is at all similar, I'd say, no, it's still too early.

-Tim

Old 05-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Scott L.

Matthew -

I had much the same problem - lawn neglect. I also inherited a nasty grub
problem. I simply grubbed with a Bayer 24hr. product, then used Grubex a
week later. About a week after that, I raked the yard hard, to turn up the
dirt, and seeded the entire yard, then put down a starter fertilizer (without the
crabgrass control, that will kill the seeds). I now use the Scotts fertilizer
system, it seems to work very well.

Its going to take a year or more to get a decent lawn - but you will
notice improvements within a few weeks. I also live in the Northeast
(Mass.), and am starting the overseeding/fertilizing now. Just make sure
to keep the lawn damp, and water frequently, for the new seeds to grow.

=Scott L.

Old 05-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Peter H

[...]

The parked cars from the former owners may have made your task a bit
tougher. Normally I would just suggest overseeding w/ a good seed from a
garden center, but your lawn will probably be badly compacted. You may want
to try double aerating or even top dressing it before you do anything else.

The best time to start would be as soon as the soil is firm enough that you
can walk on it w/out leaving footprints. That's a general guide.... It will
vary depending on how much rain you get this spring. The big problems is
homeowners getting on the lawn too early in the spring and doing more harm
than good.

Your seed, if you overseed, will probably need a couple of weeks of
temperatures in the 60's before germination. After seeding and especially
after germination you much keep the young grass plans moist ( not soaking )
constantly for a really good success rate.

Good Luck

Peter H

Lawn Restoration Project Joe Smith Gardening 2 03-06-2004 12:04 PM
Lawn Restoration Krilb United Kingdom 0 25-04-2004 11:23 PM
Print Restoration Jim Henderson Gardening 1 23-11-2003 05:02 AM
Barn Restoration and Roofing in West Central Wisconsin David and Nan Greenly sci.agriculture 0 10-06-2003 01:33 AM
Lawn growth, restoration, etc Matthew Harelick Lawns 4 28-03-2003 04:44 AM