Old 13-12-2013, 05:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Winter Lawn Care

What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and 50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of the normal 9.5"

Old 13-12-2013, 05:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Guv Bob" wrote in message ...
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and 50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of the normal 9.5"

Also, I have some bare patches. Anything I can do to seed these or, if not, prepare them for seeding in the spring?

Old 21-12-2013, 01:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 12/13/2013 12:48 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and 50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of the normal 9.5"

grass grows when it's 40 C??? How do you achieve that. Ours dies
around 28 C
Old 21-12-2013, 06:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Hench wrote:
On 12/13/2013 12:48 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the
winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and
50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead
of the normal 9.5"

grass grows when it's 40 C??? How do you achieve that. Ours dies
around 28 C

Ummmm. Where do you see the "C"?

Old 21-12-2013, 06:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the
winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and
50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of
the normal 9.5"

I've always heard that the fall/winter fertilizer is the most important of the
year.

Old 21-12-2013, 07:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bob F wrote:
Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the
winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and
50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of
the normal 9.5"

I've always heard that the fall/winter fertilizer is the most important of the
year.

in the arid SW?

large source of pollution and a waste of $.

putting fertilizer on dry grass is pointless.

putting down fertilizer just to have to go through
the process of watering repeatedly in such a climate
is close to criminal IMO.

there are places where having a lawn is fine,
but the SW isn't one of them.

songbird
Old 22-12-2013, 05:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

songbird wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the
winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and
50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead
of the normal 9.5"

I've always heard that the fall/winter fertilizer is the most
important of the year.

in the arid SW?

large source of pollution and a waste of $.

putting fertilizer on dry grass is pointless.

putting down fertilizer just to have to go through
the process of watering repeatedly in such a climate
is close to criminal IMO.

there are places where having a lawn is fine,
but the SW isn't one of them.

I didn't know that. Thanks.
Seattle's not so arid.

Old 22-12-2013, 08:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bob F wrote:
I didn't know that. Thanks.

you're welcome.

Seattle's not so arid.

no, probably fairly easy to keep a lawn
green there all season.

i'd still not fertilize any lawn much at
all. why make something that you have to cut
grow faster?

songbird
Old 24-12-2013, 02:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 12/21/2013 1:09 PM, Bob F wrote:
Hench wrote:
On 12/13/2013 12:48 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the
winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and
50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead
of the normal 9.5"

grass grows when it's 40 C??? How do you achieve that. Ours dies
around 28 C

Ummmm. Where do you see the "C"?

I didn't see "C" but assumed he was talking temperatures. 40 degrees
is very hot for lawns and was wondering how he keeps it alive at such
extreme temperatures....

If he was not talking temperature what was he talking about?
Old 24-12-2013, 02:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

https://www.google.com/search?q=expl...x=&startPage=1

Old 17-01-2014, 09:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Hench" wrote in message ...
On 12/13/2013 12:48 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and 50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of the normal 9.5"

grass grows when it's 40 C??? How do you achieve that. Ours dies
around 28 C

Yes, and if you think that's amazing, it's 50-70 during the day!

Old 17-01-2014, 09:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Bob F" wrote in message ...
Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the
winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and
50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of
the normal 9.5"

I've always heard that the fall/winter fertilizer is the most important of the
year.

A belated thanks, Bob. Since first posting the question, it has not rained a drop, so watering about once every week or two is all I'm doing right now.

Garden Gnomes care about the environment? Obviously not! Take legal action against fishing groups, under the duty of care rule. Brian[_9_] United Kingdom 0 07-02-2007 08:01 PM
[IBC] Winter (was: [IBC] winter care) Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 24-11-2003 03:22 PM
winter care stm Lawns 3 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
winter care stm Lawns 3 06-01-2003 07:19 PM
alpine plants/winter care terry.rigby United Kingdom 1 17-10-2002 07:32 PM