Old 12-07-2014, 11:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Will crabgrass preventer also stop tree seeds?

We're surrounded by maple trees and a single ash tree, and every summer
our lawn is full of hundreds (thousands?) of ash and maple tree sprouts
from the seeds they drop.

After lopping off their heads a few times with the lawn mower, they
eventually give up, but would crab grass preventer stop these seeds
from sprouting?

--
St. Paul, MN
Old 13-07-2014, 12:17 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 7/12/2014 6:06 PM, Bert wrote:
We're surrounded by maple trees and a single ash tree, and every summer
our lawn is full of hundreds (thousands?) of ash and maple tree sprouts
from the seeds they drop.

After lopping off their heads a few times with the lawn mower, they
eventually give up, but would crab grass preventer stop these seeds
from sprouting?

I don't know but you could call the 800 number on the providers label to
find out. I've done that for a couple of persistent weeds and they were
very responsive.
Old 15-07-2014, 05:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 7/12/2014 5:06 PM, Bert wrote:
We're surrounded by maple trees and a single ash tree, and every summer
our lawn is full of hundreds (thousands?) of ash and maple tree sprouts
from the seeds they drop.

After lopping off their heads a few times with the lawn mower, they
eventually give up, but would crab grass preventer stop these seeds
from sprouting?

It most likely would have little to no effect, because most
pre-emergents used on turfgrass have no effect on woody weeds. Same
goes for post-emergent lawn weedkillers. Mowing is the simplest way to
deal with them. If you were really consumed with the desire to deal
with them, you could look for a growth inhibitor to spray on the tree
to keep the seeds from forming. See
http://www.amazon.com/Monterey-Flore...uit+Eliminator
Old 15-07-2014, 06:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

In Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

If you were really consumed with the desire to deal with them,

It's the trees that are consuming my lawn :-) I've been mowing them down
for years, but just wondered if there was another way.

you could look for a growth inhibitor to spray on the tree to keep the
seeds from forming.

They're not my trees. The ash belongs to the city, and will probably be
gone by next year anyway as the ash borers have already taken out most
of the others. The maples all belong to neighbors.

--
St. Paul, MN
Old 15-07-2014, 09:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 7/15/2014 12:40 PM, Bert wrote:
In Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

If you were really consumed with the desire to deal with them,

It's the trees that are consuming my lawn :-) I've been mowing them down
for years, but just wondered if there was another way.

You have my sympathy. I live in a neighborhood with massive old silver
maples. I got rid of my maple, but I'm buried under the volume of
seeds produced by neighboring trees. I swept a bushel off my driveway
in one afternoon. Which is why, when I replaced my silver maple, I
replaced it with a seedless variety.

The one redeeming virtue of squirrels is that they collect and eat an
awful lot of maple seeds.

Old 16-07-2014, 12:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

In article ,
Moe DeLoughan wrote:

On 7/12/2014 5:06 PM, Bert wrote:
We're surrounded by maple trees and a single ash tree, and every summer
our lawn is full of hundreds (thousands?) of ash and maple tree sprouts
from the seeds they drop.

After lopping off their heads a few times with the lawn mower, they
eventually give up, but would crab grass preventer stop these seeds
from sprouting?

It most likely would have little to no effect, because most
pre-emergents used on turfgrass have no effect on woody weeds. Same
goes for post-emergent lawn weedkillers. Mowing is the simplest way to
deal with them. If you were really consumed with the desire to deal
with them, you could look for a growth inhibitor to spray on the tree
to keep the seeds from forming. See
http://www.amazon.com/Monterey-Flore.../B001AHANY0/re
f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405442066&sr=8-1&keywords=Florel+Fruit+Eliminator

They have spray stuff for suckers. Would that work?
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²