Old 06-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Registered User

Default Lawn flattened by builders

Hello everyone!

Totally new here, gardening amateur looking forward to the Spring..

Have had some builders leave a lot of building rubbish on our lawn from some work are having done.

Lots of heavy bags of rubble, placed on big planks of wood, smothering our lawn.

Now its gone - I can see that where there was once lush grass, now is flat mush.

Pictures attached. Given it is March - what should I do? Seed? Agitate? Water?

Any help graciously received and massively appreciated.

Thanks

John
Attached Thumbnails
Lawn flattened by builders-garden1.jpg   Lawn flattened by builders-garden2.jpg
Old 12-03-2015, 03:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 4:25:05 PM UTC-5, Buckmoy wrote:
Hello everyone!

Totally new here, gardening amateur looking forward to the Spring..

Have had some builders leave a lot of building rubbish on our lawn from
some work are having done.

Lots of heavy bags of rubble, placed on big planks of wood, smothering
our lawn.

Now its gone - I can see that where there was once lush grass, now is
flat mush.

Pictures attached. Given it is March - what should I do? Seed? Agitate?
Water?

Any help graciously received and massively appreciated.

Thanks

John

First issue is what you'd be satisified with. If you want a uniform
appearance across the whole thing, then you need to either:

1 - know what grass is there and get seed that is the same or similar.

2 - kill what's left and reseed the whole thing or lay turf.

You can overseed the whole thing with suitable grass seed, but
you'll still probably have areas that don't look exactly the same.
How important that is, that's up to you.

If you go the killing it route, you can either cover it with
opaque plastic or similar for a few weeks, or use glyphosate/Roundup.

Then rough up the surface with a rake, reseed with appropriate high
quality seed mix. Keep constantly moist until it starts growing,
then slowly back off the water. Lightly covering it with peat moss
or similar would aid in keeping in moist, getting good germination.

If you decide to overseed, process is the same, only just rough
up the existing grass areas a little bit, not damaging it too much.
In either case, apply a starter fertilizer. And checking and adjusting
the PH if needed is a good idea too.
Old 15-03-2015, 02:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 3:25:05 PM UTC-6, Buckmoy wrote:
Hello everyone!

Totally new here, gardening amateur looking forward to the Spring..

Have had some builders leave a lot of building rubbish on our lawn from
some work are having done.

Lots of heavy bags of rubble, placed on big planks of wood, smothering
our lawn.

Now its gone - I can see that where there was once lush grass, now is
flat mush.

Pictures attached. Given it is March - what should I do? Seed? Agitate?
Water?

Any help graciously received and massively appreciated.

Thanks

John

|Filename: garden1.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16234|
|Filename: garden2.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16235|

Buckmoy

You have problems besides the grass. The raised bed planters against the brick wall is bad! It is holding moisture that is probably seeping into the walls of the house. You can tell by the seepage stains on the boards and the mold on the brick.
Old 18-03-2015, 02:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 9:51:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

That's a good point. Piling up dirt against the foundation is a very
bad idea. It should remain at grade level and slope away.