Old 01-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Registered User

Default Patchy new lawn, I need a diagnose (pics included)

Dear all,

Recently I started my first gardening adventure and despite my high hopes and all my dedication, the first results are pretty disappointing.

I sowed my little garden about a month ago, following every advice I could. Unfortunately the grass has grown up leaving plenty of bold areas and I don't know what to blame.

I used Canna Terra Professional soil to cover my Evergreen seeds, I've been watering every morning and I got a cat repeller since I found out that my neighbour's furry thing had been messing around.

A few days ago, the bold areas were sown again but I've just found out that in certain bits, the grass is looking a bit sad and it's curling up.

Is this an overwatering issue?

Cheers in advance,
Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Patchy new lawn, I need a diagnose (pics included)-img_0451.jpg   Patchy new lawn, I need a diagnose (pics included)-img_0452.jpg   Patchy new lawn, I need a diagnose (pics included)-img_0453.jpg
Old 02-05-2015, 04:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Andrew90 wrote:
Dear all,

Recently I started my first gardening adventure and despite my high
hopes and all my dedication, the first results are pretty
disappointing.

I sowed my little garden about a month ago, following every advice I
could. Unfortunately the grass has grown up leaving plenty of bold
areas and I don't know what to blame.

I used Canna Terra Professional soil to cover my Evergreen seeds, I've
been watering every morning and I got a cat repeller since I found out
that my neighbour's furry thing had been messing around.

A few days ago, the bold areas were sown again but I've just found out
that in certain bits, the grass is looking a bit sad and it's curling
up.

Is this an overwatering issue?

It could be. By the time grass is this tall, watering every morning is way too
much. That ground looks rough, and maybe rocky or at least lumpy. Rocks or lumps
over seed may prevent germination. When germinating seed, you don't want to
water heavily. You just want to keep the seed slightly damp. 5 minutes at a
time, maybe a few times during a hot day is better than one heavy watering.

Replied via usenet group alt.home.lawn.garden, the real source of this forum
which is copied by the web page you used.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Registered User

Thanks a lot for your response Bob,

It's really difficult to find accurate watering information out there. I'll take it easy with the water from now on.

Cheers!
Old 04-05-2015, 09:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 10:25:03 AM UTC-4, Andrew90 wrote:
Thanks a lot for your response Bob,

It's really difficult to find accurate watering information out there.
I'll take it easy with the water from now on.

Cheers!

Andrew90

Agree with Bob. IDK what Carra Terra Pro Soil is, but
it sounds like something expensive that comes in a bag.
Never seen soil like that used for a lawn. I'll bet what
ever amount was used, it wasn't enough to make much difference.
As Bob says, what's there looks like it has rocks in it.

And like Bob says, to get seed germinated, you want the
top 1/2" or so constantly damp. If it's cool and cloudy
that might mean watering 2x a day for 10 mins. If it's
hot, then more frequently. Once the grass starts to grow,
you back off the watering to once a day, but for longer
for a couple weeks. Then every other day, etc. An
established lawn needs about 1" of water a week, usually
applied 1/2" twice. But it also depends on the weather.

Did you put down starter fertilizer? If not, I'd do it
now. Work with what's there until fall, which is the best
time to seed. If you try now you'll have more competition
from weeds, more water required, etc. And then it gets hit
with the stress of summer temps before it's well established.

Patchy Lawn carlos1981 Lawns 0 13-04-2009 05:12 PM
help! identifying this plant/tree pics included sidiousfidious Gardening 1 10-06-2006 06:23 AM
help! identifying this plant/tree pics included sidiousfidious Gardening 1 10-06-2006 03:55 AM
Reseeding Patchy Lawn - Advice Needed David Gibson United Kingdom 8 24-05-2004 01:09 AM
New fish dying off - Help diagnose Bill Stock Ponds 10 11-08-2003 07:10 AM