Red apple ice plant in bad shape

Old 19-03-2016, 04:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default Red apple ice plant in bad shape

What could cause a whole hill of red apple to die? It's been healthy for 15 years with very little care, now within a couple of months the whole hill is brown. Looking up close, the roots and stalks that are still green look fine.

I'll take some to the nursery this weekend and ask. My guess would be some kind of disease, something filtering thru the soil from uphill neighbor, or rats or squirrels eating it.

Any guesses?

Old 19-03-2016, 05:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

What could cause a whole hill of red apple to die? It's been healthy for 15 years with very little care, now within a couple of months the whole hill is brown. Looking up close, the roots and stalks that are still green look fine.

I'll take some to the nursery this weekend and ask. My guess would be some kind of disease, something filtering thru the soil from uphill neighbor, or rats or squirrels eating it.

Any guesses?

I should mention that searching online, all I could find was possible disease/fungus related to being exposed to heavy rain, irrigation or poor drainage. None of these could be the cause here. Very dry - drought conditions still here. Latest rain was 1/2-inch & very good drainage. Prior to the drought, we have had period of heavy rain for a week or more and no problem like this.

Old 19-03-2016, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,uk.rec.sheds

On 3/19/2016 10:05 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
What could cause a whole hill of red apple to die? It's been healthy for 15 years with very little care, now within a couple of months the whole hill is brown. Looking up close, the roots and stalks that are still green look fine.

I'll take some to the nursery this weekend and ask. My guess would be some kind of disease, something filtering thru the soil from uphill neighbor, or rats or squirrels eating it.

Any guesses?

I should mention that searching online, all I could find was possible disease/fungus related to being exposed to heavy rain, irrigation or poor drainage. None of these could be the cause here. Very dry - drought conditions still here. Latest rain was 1/2-inch & very good drainage. Prior to the drought, we have had period of heavy rain for a week or more and no problem like this.

Just admit that you are a total failure--both as a gardener and as a man.
LOL

Old 19-03-2016, 06:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
What could cause a whole hill of red apple to die? It's been healthy for 15 years with very little care, now within a couple of months the whole hill is brown. Looking up close, the roots and stalks that are still green look fine.

I'll take some to the nursery this weekend and ask. My guess would be some kind of disease, something filtering thru the soil from uphill neighbor, or rats or squirrels eating it.

Any guesses?

no idea. did it get sprayed with something?
frosted? dessicating winds? it would help if you
described where you are at.

it may come back just fine without anything else
needing to be done if the stalks and roots are still
green and able to grow.

songbird
Old 19-03-2016, 07:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"songbird" wrote in message ...
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
What could cause a whole hill of red apple to die? It's been healthy for 15 years with very little care, now within a couple of months the whole hill is brown. Looking up close, the roots and stalks that are still green look fine.

I'll take some to the nursery this weekend and ask. My guess would be some kind of disease, something filtering thru the soil from uphill neighbor, or rats or squirrels eating it.

Any guesses?

no idea. did it get sprayed with something?
frosted? dessicating winds? it would help if you
described where you are at.

it may come back just fine without anything else
needing to be done if the stalks and roots are still
green and able to grow.

songbird

Never sprayed, no unusual winds or below 40 deg F. S Calif.

Old 20-03-2016, 12:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 11:57:01 -0500, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney
wrote:

What could cause a whole hill of red apple to die? It's been healthy
for 15 years with very little care, now within a couple of months the
whole hill is brown. Looking up close, the roots and stalks that are
still green look fine.

I'll take some to the nursery this weekend and ask. My guess would be
some kind of disease, something filtering thru the soil from uphill
neighbor, or rats or squirrels eating it.

Any guesses?

I can't answer your question but here is a list of land grant
universities in the U.S.

http://www.tiac.net/~mabaker/land-grant.html

One of the things a land grant university does is conduct
agricultural research. The University of Nebraska in Lincoln
publishes something called NebGuides. This
http://extensionpubs.unl.edu/# is the website. YOu might
find something there.