GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Battery for Moisture Detector (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/212594-battery-moisture-detector.html)

Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney 04-04-2016 08:00 PM

Battery for Moisture Detector

I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney 04-04-2016 08:08 PM

Battery for Moisture Detector

Forgot to say - this is a soil moisture detector for potted plants.

Frank 04-04-2016 08:29 PM

On 4/4/2016 3:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

I know that different battery materials can have slightly different
voltage but nominally alkaline and carbon-zinc are the same.

Mike Duffy 04-04-2016 08:29 PM

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 12:08:16 -0700, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Forgot to say - this is a soil moisture detector for potted plants.

I'm guessing that if it leaks it is more toxic for plants than zinc-carbon
or lithium batteries.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

micky 04-04-2016 11:50 PM

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 15:29:56 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/4/2016 3:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

I know that different battery materials can have slightly different
voltage but nominally alkaline and carbon-zinc are the same.

They're a different size, however. iirc carbon-zinc are shorter.

Stormin Mormon[_6_] 05-04-2016 12:13 AM

On 4/4/2016 6:50 PM, Micky wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 15:29:56 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/4/2016 3:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

I know that different battery materials can have slightly different
voltage but nominally alkaline and carbon-zinc are the same.

They're a different size, however. iirc carbon-zinc are shorter.

I wonder if the writer of the instruction was
having a bad day. Might been meant to write
to use only alkaline battery?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

[email protected] 05-04-2016 01:12 AM

Battery for Moisture Detector

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 12:00:13 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

Voltage/current curve not compatible?
Buy "heavy duty" zinc chloride batteries - they are a lot cheaper
anyway.

[email protected] 05-04-2016 01:14 AM

Battery for Moisture Detector

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 18:50:51 -0400, Micky
wrote:

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 15:29:56 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/4/2016 3:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

I know that different battery materials can have slightly different
voltage but nominally alkaline and carbon-zinc are the same.

They're a different size, however. iirc carbon-zinc are shorter.

You sure about that??
Lithium and other rechargeables tend to be shorter, but zinc chloride
and alkalines are generally the same.

Stormin Mormon[_6_] 05-04-2016 01:56 AM

On 4/4/2016 8:14 PM, wrote:

You sure about that??
Lithium and other rechargeables tend to be shorter, but zinc chloride
and alkalines are generally the same.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/A95.pdf

I did find a chart (half way down on the right)
comparing alkalines to carbon zinc. If you find
comparison between zinc chloride versus alkaline,
I'd sure like to see it.

In my own tests, alkalines of various brands outlast
carbon zinc four to one. I mixed and matched a bunch
of cells in various applications. Came out 4:1 fairly
consistently.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

[email protected] 05-04-2016 03:43 AM

Battery for Moisture Detector

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 20:56:18 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/4/2016 8:14 PM, wrote:

You sure about that??
Lithium and other rechargeables tend to be shorter, but zinc chloride
and alkalines are generally the same.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/A95.pdf

I did find a chart (half way down on the right)
comparing alkalines to carbon zinc. If you find
comparison between zinc chloride versus alkaline,
I'd sure like to see it.

In my own tests, alkalines of various brands outlast
carbon zinc four to one. I mixed and matched a bunch
of cells in various applications. Came out 4:1 fairly
consistently.

And what does that have to do with the SIZE of a 9 volt battery???

Stormin Mormon[_6_] 05-04-2016 04:33 AM

On 4/4/2016 10:43 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 20:56:18 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/4/2016 8:14 PM,
wrote:

You sure about that??
Lithium and other rechargeables tend to be shorter, but zinc chloride
and alkalines are generally the same.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/A95.pdf

I did find a chart (half way down on the right)
comparing alkalines to carbon zinc. If you find
comparison between zinc chloride versus alkaline,
I'd sure like to see it.

In my own tests, alkalines of various brands outlast
carbon zinc four to one. I mixed and matched a bunch
of cells in various applications. Came out 4:1 fairly
consistently.

And what does that have to do with the SIZE of a 9 volt battery???

You're the one who has recently posted that
zinc chloride cells last longer than alkalines.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Donald T. Rump 05-04-2016 09:52 AM

On 04/04/2016 02:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

Maybe it's because alkaline batteries leak and destroy?

Bob F 05-04-2016 01:44 PM

Donald T. Rump wrote:
On 04/04/2016 02:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says
not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning
before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended? Thanks.

Maybe it's because alkaline batteries leak and destroy?

And carbon/zinc don't??

[email protected] 06-04-2016 01:03 AM

Battery for Moisture Detector

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 23:33:51 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/4/2016 10:43 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 20:56:18 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/4/2016 8:14 PM,
wrote:

You sure about that??
Lithium and other rechargeables tend to be shorter, but zinc chloride
and alkalines are generally the same.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/A95.pdf

I did find a chart (half way down on the right)
comparing alkalines to carbon zinc. If you find
comparison between zinc chloride versus alkaline,
I'd sure like to see it.

In my own tests, alkalines of various brands outlast
carbon zinc four to one. I mixed and matched a bunch
of cells in various applications. Came out 4:1 fairly
consistently.

And what does that have to do with the SIZE of a 9 volt battery???

You're the one who has recently posted that
zinc chloride cells last longer than alkalines.

On this thread battery life was never mentioned. You just want to
prove how big a prick you are.
Stormin Moron.

philo 06-04-2016 02:22 AM

On 04/04/2016 02:08 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Forgot to say - this is a soil moisture detector for potted plants.

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

The only thing I can think of is that an alkaline battery has a much
lower internal resistance and that might cause a problem for the
electronics.

Just a guess.