Old 10-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Registered User

Default Garden woes

Hello all,
My first post to the forum and I'm new to the garden world,
My wife and I have recently moved into our dream property after living in a two bedroom flat for x amount of years, the whole plot stands on about an acre, it's a 3 bedroom semi with a plot of land, the PO had horses and I've inherited a nice mènage and set of 3 stables.

Over the winter there was a lot of rain and the ground became sodden, to add to my troubles the land at the end of mine is used for horses.....13 of them 😏 who broke through the fence on several occasions over the winter to eat my nice grass which was lush, as you can imagine I was less than impressed and the garden now looks like a battle field 😡 The owner of the horses was unphased by the whole scenario and blamed me for having an old fence 😄🤔.
How can I get my garden back to how it was, do I need to re-turf or use some sort of machinery, do I get landscape gardeners in, I'm at a loss guys, can you help please
Old 10-04-2016, 06:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chairhead wrote:
Over the winter there was a lot of rain and the ground became sodden, to
add to my troubles the land at the end of mine is used for horses.....13
of them 😏 who broke through the fence on several occasions over
the winter to eat my nice grass which was lush, as you can imagine I was
less than impressed and the garden now looks like a battle field
😡 The owner of the horses was unphased by the whole scenario and
blamed me for having an old fence 😄🤔.
How can I get my garden back to how it was, do I need to re-turf or use
some sort of machinery, do I get landscape gardeners in, I'm at a loss
guys, can you help please

rake it even and let it grow. it should recover just
fine. keep it mowed regularly.

songbird
Old 10-04-2016, 06:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 4/10/2016 5:05 AM, Chairhead wrote:

[...]

I'd say it is up to the horse owner to keep them in, not for you to keep
them out. I would hold him liable for damages.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:13 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
Chairhead wrote:
Over the winter there was a lot of rain and the ground became sodden, to
add to my troubles the land at the end of mine is used for horses.....13
of them 😏 who broke through the fence on several occasions over
the winter to eat my nice grass which was lush, as you can imagine I was
less than impressed and the garden now looks like a battle field
😡 The owner of the horses was unphased by the whole scenario and
blamed me for having an old fence 😄🤔.
How can I get my garden back to how it was, do I need to re-turf or use
some sort of machinery, do I get landscape gardeners in, I'm at a loss
guys, can you help please

rake it even and let it grow. it should recover just
fine. keep it mowed regularly.

songbird
Thanks for the reply
But a rake would be lost in the divots caused by the horses,,the grass is really churned up and it's a huge area to rake 😳😳
Old 10-04-2016, 11:33 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
[...]

Frank I think you are right of course but speaking to the guy got me no where, leaving my gates open so the horses ventured out onto our private road did improve his attention though 😊, going down the legal road would've cost in time and money not to mention stress etc, anyway Ive put up a new fence now so now it's time to focus on the lawn

Old 10-04-2016, 11:37 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairhead View Post
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...psgny6ect0.jpg
Old 11-04-2016, 03:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chairhead wrote:
Thanks for the reply
But a rake would be lost in the divots caused by the horses,,the grass
is really churned up and it's a huge area to rake 😳😳

then i would take it up with the neighbor as that is a large
amount of damage and it is his responsibility.

songbird
Old 16-04-2016, 06:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 12:27:53 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
[...]

Agree. I'm having trouble picturing this. He says it's an acre,
then that there are 3 stables?

Without at least some pics of the damage, hard to say what to do.
If it's not torn up real bad, then just applying some fertilizer
and waiting a month or two could solve it. If it's damaged badly,
how long were those invading horses there and why didn't he tell
the neighbor to remove them immediately?
Old 17-04-2016, 08:46 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post
[...]

There are pics if you look at my previous post 🤓🤓 yes it's about an acre plot with stables.
I don't know if you've read my OP and the subsequent ones to that?
Old 17-04-2016, 03:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Chairhead" wrote in message ...

Thanks for the reply
But a rake would be lost in the divots caused by the horses,,the grass
is really churned up and it's a huge area to rake 😳😳

If these are photos, where did you post them?
😳&#128563?

Whose property is the fence on?

Old 17-04-2016, 06:13 PM
Registered User

I posted the pics on #6 but here they are again, the fence splits the property boundaries and unless there is a party agreement ( which there isn't) it's nobody's responsibility, I'm really not interested in who's at fault as I know he is responsible in part at least but he hasn't the balls to cough,

What I am interested in is how to repair the lawn, what methods will I have to use, a rake would be out of the question, looking at the grass do I rotavate, roll, relay, reseed?, is now the time to repair or put new lawn down.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...psgny6ect0.jpg
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...psceynjelm.jpg
Old 18-04-2016, 05:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Chairhead" wrote in message ...

Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney;1019268 Wrote:
"Chairhead" wrote in message
...-

Thanks for the reply
But a rake would be lost in the divots caused by the horses,,the grass
is really churned up and it's a huge area to rake 😳😳-

If these are photos, where did you post them?
😳&#128563?

Whose property is the fence on?

I posted the pics on #6 but here they are again, the fence splits the
property boundaries and unless there is a party agreement ( which there
isn't) it's nobody's responsibility, I'm really not interested in who's
at fault as I know he is responsible in part at least but he hasn't the
balls to cough,

What I am interested in is how to repair the lawn, what methods will I
have to use, a rake would be out of the question, looking at the grass
do I rotavate, roll, relay, reseed?, is now the time to repair or put
new lawn down.

'[image:
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h337/pripri11/1261CDD1-82AD-4A35-9D3C-3AC207D5C504_zpsgny6ect0.jpg]'
(
http://tinyurl.com/jlmgsro)
'[image:
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h337/pripri11/E5216E80-55C2-4973-8A67-47504D06A6F8_zpsceynjelm.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/gteeuf7)
--
Chairhead

I think you're a wise chairhead to just take care of it and avoid all the legal nonsense. Can you rent a garden tractor with a rake?

Old 18-04-2016, 06:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chairhead wrote:
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney;1019268 Wrote:
"Chairhead" wrote in message
...-

Thanks for the reply
But a rake would be lost in the divots caused by the horses,,the
grass is really churned up and it's a huge area to rake
😳😳-

[...]

I'm no expert, but I would be tempted to roll it on a really rainy day, then
rake/roll/rake ..... topsoil over it to even the level, then overseed if it
doesn't grow back over the filled holes over a season. And I would certainly put
the neighbor on notice that he is responsible for damage done by his horses.

Old 28-04-2016, 03:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 4:25:03 AM UTC-4, Chairhead wrote:

There are pics if you look at my previous post 🤓🤓 yes
it's about an acre plot with stables.
I don't know if you've read my OP and the subsequent ones to that?

--
Chairhead

Just saw the pics. If you're in no big hurry, it will recover and
even out on it's own. If you want fast results, rent an "over-seeder"
also known as a slit-seeder. It's a piece of powered eqpt that's used
to apply seed to established turf. It has a row of powered discs in
front, spaced a few inches apart, that cut grooves in the soil, then
seed drops in behind. Those discs will cut up and break down some of
those clumps and putting some quality seed down will help too. The
thing will fit in the back of a decent size SUV. Or call a lawn
service company and pay them to do it. The neighbor should be paying
the bill anyway.

Webb Starting woes Bevilready Lawns 3 01-04-2009 10:40 AM
Sawdust mulch could cause garden woes [email protected] Gardening 0 16-05-2007 03:51 PM
Clay soil garden woes anon United Kingdom 6 16-02-2005 07:41 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 25-02-2003 12:10 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 11:29 PM