Old 08-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Ho-Kuo Chan

Default Liquid vs granular/solid fertilizer

Hi,
I was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of liquid vs
solid/granular fertilizer. I live a northern climate (Montreal, Canada), I
have Kentucky bluegrass. Alos, There's an area of my lawn that's meets the
foundation of the house that need to be elevated to drain rain away from the
house. I estimate it needs to be raised 2-3 inches at the foundation.
Thanks!

--

HK

Old 08-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Ho-Kuo Chan

Sorry, forgot to ask what the best procedure is to raise the level of the
lawn as per my first post below.

--

Ho-Kuo Chan
Software Designer, Digital Division

Old 08-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Peter H

"Ho-Kuo Chan" wrote in message
Hi,
I was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of liquid vs
solid/granular fertilizer. I live a northern climate (Montreal, Canada), I
have Kentucky bluegrass. Alos, There's an area of my lawn that's meets the
foundation of the house that need to be elevated to drain rain away from

the
house. I estimate it needs to be raised 2-3 inches at the foundation.
Thanks!

--

HK

For a do-it-yourselfer the granular fert is normally preferable 'cause it
will be time-released and is easier to apply evenly.

To raise the level near the house you have a couple of options. If you just
dump 3" of soil on the grass there you will kill or set back most of the
grass and weeds will fill in. You could dump the soil on and then cover in
sod or seed it. Sod would solve the problem instantly. You could also add
the soil an inch or so at a time and as the grass grows up through it add
some more and in this way gradually raise the level there.

Peter H

Old 08-05-2003, 03:44 PM

"Ho-Kuo Chan" wrote:
Hi,
I was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of liquid vs
solid/granular fertilizer. I live a northern climate (Montreal, Canada),
I have Kentucky bluegrass. Alos, There's an area of my lawn that's meets
the foundation of the house that need to be elevated to drain rain away
from the house. I estimate it needs to be raised 2-3 inches at the
foundation. Thanks!

Liquid is more profitable for commercial applicators.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old 08-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Ho-Kuo Chan

Sorry about the last post, I forgot to copy my question: do I need to pack
the soil down after dumping it or should I just level it off? Thanks!

--

Ho-Kuo Chan

"Peter H" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

Old 08-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Peter H

"Ho-Kuo Chan" wrote in message
Sorry about the last post, I forgot to copy my question: do I need to pack
the soil down after dumping it or should I just level it off? Thanks!

If you add the soil gradually, in a few stages there is no need to tamp it
down as it will find it's own level eventually. If you add 3" at once then
you will have to tamp it down or it will be lumpy.

Peter H

Old 09-05-2003, 12:32 AM

"Peter H" wrote:
"Ho-Kuo Chan" wrote in message
Sorry about the last post, I forgot to copy my question: do I need to
pack the soil down after dumping it or should I just level it off?
Thanks!

If you add the soil gradually, in a few stages there is no need to tamp
it down as it will find it's own level eventually. If you add 3" at once
then you will have to tamp it down or it will be lumpy.

Peter H

Tamp the fill,leave the 2 inches of top soil you're gonna put over it
fluffy.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 09-05-2003, 12:32 AM

"Ho-Kuo Chan" wrote:
--

Ho-Kuo Chan
Software Designer,

...hey hoe chan,wtf does this have to do with lawn food?

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Recommendations for a good granular fungus control Damian Lawns 5 12-04-2006 11:09 PM
Info about Volclay granular sodium bentonite??? [email protected] Ponds 5 01-05-2005 03:20 PM
granular vegetation killer Charlie Lawns 0 28-04-2005 01:58 AM
Liquid fertilizer Tbumpy Ponds 42 12-07-2003 12:21 AM
peat granular, does it work??? Francisco Caamaño Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:12 AM