Old 09-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Maria

Default overgrown grass with seeds

Hello:
I recently seeded few bare patches in my lawn. Since the seeds were
germinating I did not mow the rest of the lawn to try & avoid damage to the
germinating grass.

Now, I find that the rest of the lawn is really overgrown & most of the
orignial grass in now sprouting seeds. I did not know whether this would be
helpful or harmful to my existing lawn.

My question is, if seeds are allowed to form on grass will they be a direct
source of additional seeds for my lawn or is allowing grass to sprout seeds
detrimental to the lawn in any way.

TIA
Maria

Old 09-05-2003, 05:08 AM

"Maria" wrote:
Hello:
I recently seeded few bare patches in my lawn. Since the seeds were
germinating I did not mow the rest of the lawn to try & avoid damage to
the germinating grass.

Now, I find that the rest of the lawn is really overgrown & most of the
orignial grass in now sprouting seeds. I did not know whether this would
be helpful or harmful to my existing lawn.

My question is, if seeds are allowed to form on grass will they be a
direct source of additional seeds for my lawn or is allowing grass to
sprout seeds detrimental to the lawn in any way.

TIA
Maria

You'll likely tear it all up now,Maria,but you -must- cut it.

The seed on top is your enemy,cuz it's annual grass.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 09-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Jeff and Dawn

Maria
Depending on where you live and what grass you have, those may not be
grass seed heads. There is a nasty weed called poa annua,commonly referred
to as annual bluegrass. Last year my "grass" was going to seed head almost
immediately following a cutting. I started to do research on how to break
the cycle and I came upon this nasty weed that looks just like bluegrass. If
you can post a picture I can help you identify, or type in poa annua in your
search engine and see if you can identify it yourself. Hopefully you dont
have this, because you really cant do anything about it. It will die out
with summer heat.
Back to your original question. I dont know about the effects of the "grass"
seed, but your lawn will turn yellow if you cut off more than a third of
the height of the grass in a single mowing. Also, with grass being that
high you run the risk of lawn disease because the grass underneath never
gets a chance to dry out. Let me know what you find out
Jeff

Old 10-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Chas Hurst

wrote in message

The seed on top is your enemy,cuz it's annual grass.

Does perennial grass make seed? When?

Chas Hurst

Old 10-05-2003, 04:56 AM

"Chas Hurst" wrote:
wrote in message

The seed on top is your enemy,cuz it's annual grass.

Does perennial grass make seed? When?

Chas Hurst

When it gets way too tall to cut. Your lawn will not re-seed
itself,if you have desirable turfgrasses. At least not in my
climate zone.

That seed you're looking at will germinate in the fall,after
those plants have been dead most of the summer. It's called
poa annua,it's really hard to deal with. It freaks out the
greens-keeper's.

Balan offers some limited control,but timing is everything.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old 10-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Chas Hurst

wrote in message

Lots of that tall stuff is annual. Forget about your lawn reseeding
itself.

I'm not concerned about my lawn reseeding itself. I'm just curious.
Thanks
Chas

Old 10-05-2003, 05:44 AM

"Chas Hurst" wrote:
wrote in message

Lots of that tall stuff is annual. Forget about your lawn reseeding
itself.

I'm not concerned about my lawn reseeding itself. I'm just curious.
Thanks
Chas

NP.

--