GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Left it too late! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/214956-left-too-late.html)

Leo123 03-10-2017 10:14 AM

Left it too late!

Hi

I have a lawn that is not in great condition and think I've run out of time to make progress this autumn.

The lawn is a mixture of grasses as some is old, some not so old and some new - probably all from different seed mixes. There are lots of weeds (shelfheal and plantain) and clover and moss in places.

I have just bought an electric lawn rake and scarifier, I have also bought some Aftercut all in one, weedol weed killer and also some grass seed.

Ideally I'd like to do as much as I can now so it makes it look better next spring onwards.

Ideally, I'd kill the weeds, scarfiy/rake and then overseed however I don't think I can do all 3 now given it is early October and presume I've got to wait at least a month to overseed the weed killer and Aftercut?

Would I be best off:
1. Killing the weeds with the weedol and Aftercut all in one then scarifying
2. Scarifying and then overseeding

Any advice on the order of priorities would be great!

Thanks in advance
Leo

Iggy 04-10-2017 04:14 PM

Left it too late!

replying to Leo123, Iggy wrote:
1st option, IF you have a full 4 to 6-weeks of warm left. Scalp it with the
mower set to its lowest height to remove as much weed, especially any larger
weed leaves. Then, scarify, seed and water. The seed needs as much warm-time
as possible to establish roots to even make it to spring.

2nd option, maybe and likely the only thing you can do so late in the year.
Scarify and drop all of your weeders on everything to re-seed in spring. Weeds
won't be gone forever, many are like crabgrass and have already planted seeds
that will continue to return for years to come. Then, re-scarify, seed and
water for the 1st month of spring.

After that, it's only monthly treatments of Weed-B-Gon type products (they
don't kill the grass) to continually decrease the weeds and stop their
seeding, you need one full season to make a solid dent in the weeds. But, for
a long-neglected lawn you're looking at the next 5-seasons of greatly
decreasing Weed-B-Gon type treatments. It's never one & done.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/lawn-g...ate-19880-.htm

Bob F 04-10-2017 04:59 PM

Left it too late!

On 10/4/2017 7:14 AM, Iggy wrote:
[...]

Forget monthly treatments of weed-b-gon. Do it once, maybe. After that,
just cruise the lawn with a trigger sprayer of the stuff for the weeds
that pop up every month or so. By not broadcasting it over the whole
month, you drastically reduce the amount of poisens in your yard, and
save a loy of money too.

songbird[_2_] 04-10-2017 10:45 PM

Left it too late!

Bob F wrote:
Forget monthly treatments of weed-b-gon. Do it once, maybe. After that,
just cruise the lawn with a trigger sprayer of the stuff for the weeds
that pop up every month or so. By not broadcasting it over the whole
month, you drastically reduce the amount of poisens in your yard, and
save a loy of money too.

if you are worried about poisons, don't even bother,
just mow it regularly.

if you have rabbits around they'll eat the clovers,
dandelions, plantains and some of the other weeds.

songbird

Bob F 05-10-2017 05:48 AM

Left it too late!

On 10/4/2017 1:45 PM, songbird wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Forget monthly treatments of weed-b-gon. Do it once, maybe. After that,
just cruise the lawn with a trigger sprayer of the stuff for the weeds
that pop up every month or so. By not broadcasting it over the whole
month, you drastically reduce the amount of poisens in your yard, and
save a loy of money too.

if you are worried about poisons, don't even bother,
just mow it regularly.

if you have rabbits around they'll eat the clovers,
dandelions, plantains and some of the other weeds.

It seems that chicken are pretty fond of lawn weeds too.

songbird[_2_] 05-10-2017 04:54 PM

Left it too late!

Bob F wrote:
It seems that chicken are pretty fond of lawn weeds too.

chickens will strip an area bare if you let
them stay in one place for long. they scratch
the ground for any grubs, roots, ants, etc.

often in permaculture setups where you rotate
plant people use chickens to clear an area
before planting veggies. they prep the ground
and fertilize it too.

i can't bring myself to keep chickens. i
use worms instead and do the garden prep
myself (smothering or shallow digging with a
shovel).

songbird

[email protected][_2_] 07-10-2017 03:23 AM

Left it too late!

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 10:14:02 AM UTC-4, Iggy wrote:
replying to Leo123, Iggy wrote:
1st option, IF you have a full 4 to 6-weeks of warm left. Scalp it with the
mower set to its lowest height to remove as much weed, especially any larger
weed leaves. Then, scarify, seed and water.

That is what I would do. Fall is by far the best time to re-seed.
Only question is what kind of other grass is there, weeds, etc.
If he has crap grass, weeds that can't be killed with broadleaf
weedkiller, etc, then it's better to kill everything with glyphosate,
make sure it;s all dead after about a week, then mow short, re-seed.
But it's probably too late in the season now for that, not sure
of the exact climate over there.
It also depends on whether you want a uniform looking lawn or will
tolerate a less uniform look. Make sure to use an appropriate, high
quality grass seed and starter fertilizer. In the Spring deal with
the weeds.