Old 29-10-2017, 07:59 PM posted to msn.forums.homeandgarden.gardening.landscape,msn.forums.homeandgarden.gardening,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,msn.forums.gardening.general
Ant Ant is offline

Default What is making these holes in the front lawn overnight that happenoften?

https://i.imgur.com/GUHwN5A.jpg from a local rural So(uthern)
CA(lifornia) house.

Gophers? Deers? Dogs? Squirrels? I doubt it is the ants even though
there are Red Imported Fire and Argentine ants' mounds.

The next door neighbors' lawns don't even have this problem. What is
missing and how to stop these dig ups?

Thank you in advance.
--
"I do not believe that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless and
sterile battalion of the ants. It is the excitement of becoming--always
Old 29-10-2017, 11:41 PM posted to msn.forums.homeandgarden.gardening.landscape,msn.forums.homeandgarden.gardening,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,msn.forums.gardening.general

On 29/10/2017 18:59, Ant wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/GUHwN5A.jpg from a local rural So(uthern)
CA(lifornia) house.

Gophers? Deers? Dogs? Squirrels? I doubt it is the ants even though
there are Red Imported Fire and Argentine ants' mounds.

The next door neighbors' lawns don't even have this problem. What is
missing and how to stop these dig ups?

Thank you in advance.

That looks like classic Badger damage to me!

Do you have Badgers there?

--
David B.
Old 30-10-2017, 03:22 AM posted to msn.forums.homeandgarden.gardening.landscape,msn.forums.homeandgarden.gardening,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,msn.forums.gardening.general
Ant Ant is offline

On 10/29/2017 3:41 PM, David B. wrote:
On 29/10/2017 18:59, Ant wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/GUHwN5A.jpg from a local rural So(uthern)
CA(lifornia) house.

Gophers? Deers? Dogs? Squirrels? I doubt it is the ants even though
there are Red Imported Fire and Argentine ants' mounds.

The next door neighbors' lawns don't even have this problem. What is
missing and how to stop these dig ups?

Thank you in advance.

That looks like classic Badger damage to me!

Do you have Badgers there?

Nope. Never saw any unless they are hidden! Wait, do badgers exist in
Southern California?
--
"Individually, ants are stupid. Together, they're brilliant." --unknown
Old 30-10-2017, 03:24 AM posted to msn.forums.homeandgarden.gardening.landscape,msn.forums.homeandgarden.gardening,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,msn.forums.gardening.general
Ant Ant is offline

On 10/29/2017 4:55 PM, Wolf K wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/GUHwN5A.jpg from a local rural So(uthern)
CA(lifornia) house.

Gophers? Deers? Dogs? Squirrels? I doubt it is the ants even though
there are Red Imported Fire and Argentine ants' mounds.

The next door neighbors' lawns don't even have this problem. What is
missing and how to stop these dig ups?

Thank you in advance.

That looks like classic Badger damage to me!

Do you have Badgers there?

Yes, they have badgers (smallish, about the size of medium to large cat).

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Mammals/Badger

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_badger
"Diet

The American badger is a fossorial carnivore. It preys predominantly on
pocket gophers (Geomyidae), ground squirrels (Spermophilus), moles
(Talpidae), marmots (Marmota), prairie dogs (Cynomys), pika (Ochotona),
woodrats (Neotoma), kangaroo rats (Dipodomys), deer mice (Peromyscus),
and voles (Microtus), often digging to pursue prey into their dens, and
sometimes plugging tunnel entrances with objects.[10] The American
badger is a significant predator of snakes including rattlesnakes, and
is considered the most important predator of rattlesnakes in South
Dakota.[11] They also prey on ground-nesting birds, such as the bank
swallow or sand martin (Riparia riparia) and burrowing owl (Athene
cunicularia), and lizards, amphibians, carrion, fish, skunks (Mephitis
and Spilogale), insects, including bees and honeycomb, and some plant
foods such as corn (Zea mais), peas, green beans, mushrooms and other
fungi, and sunflower seeds (Helianthus)."

Interesting. I have never seen and heard that they existed here! Someone
said https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPmyUdLrk9Q is a raccoon that was
recorded by an automatic camera at night almost last year. Its tail
doesn't match with a badger's. :/
--
"Remember, ants are only waiting for you to die..." --unknown
Old 30-10-2017, 12:29 PM posted to msn.forums.homeandgarden.gardening.landscape,msn.forums.homeandgarden.gardening,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,msn.forums.gardening.general

On 30/10/2017 02:22, Ant wrote:
do badgers exist in Southern California?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_badger

Seems so! :-)

--
David B.

Old 30-10-2017, 04:52 PM posted to msn.forums.homeandgarden.gardening.landscape,msn.forums.homeandgarden.gardening,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,msn.forums.gardening.general
Ant Ant is offline

On 10/30/2017 5:56 AM, Wolf K wrote:
Interesting. I have never seen and heard that they existed here!
Someone said https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPmyUdLrk9Q is a raccoon
that was recorded by an automatic camera at night almost last year.
Its tail doesn't match with a badger's. :/

Raccoons dig up lawns to get at grubs. If they're visiting your lawn,
you have grubs. You can let the raccoons take care of them, or hire a
lawn-care business to spray grub-icide, or do the job yourself. I
wouldn't recommend the last, safe pesticide application is a complicated
skill. The raccoons will move on once they've eaten all the grubs, then
you can repair the lawn.

Thanks.
--
"I go out of my way to avoid stepping on ants." --Terry McGovern,
daughter of Senator George and Eleanor McGovern, subject of the book
Old 30-10-2017, 06:29 PM posted to msn.forums.homeandgarden.gardening.landscape,msn.forums.homeandgarden.gardening,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,msn.forums.gardening.general

On 10/30/2017 11:52 AM, Ant wrote:
On 10/30/2017 5:56 AM, Wolf K wrote:
Interesting. I have never seen and heard that they existed here!
Someone said https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPmyUdLrk9Q is a raccoon
that was recorded by an automatic camera at night almost last year.
Its tail doesn't match with a badger's. :/

Raccoons dig up lawns to get at grubs. If they're visiting your lawn,
you have grubs. You can let the raccoons take care of them, or hire a
lawn-care business to spray grub-icide, or do the job yourself. I
wouldn't recommend the last, safe pesticide application is a complicated
skill. The raccoons will move on once they've eaten all the grubs, then
you can repair the lawn.

Thanks.

Skunks also dig for grubs and killing the grubs will stop them from digging.

Might want to look for dyi stuff he

https://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/