GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Yard Rage: The Rand Paul Assault (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/215060-re-yard-rage-rand-paul-assault.html)

Mr. B1ack 13-11-2017 03:34 AM

Yard Rage: The Rand Paul Assault

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 21:57:10 -0000 (UTC), "Leroy N. Soetoro"
wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/o...age-rand-paul-
assault.html

When Senator Rand Paul, Republican of Kentucky, was tackled by a neighbor
while riding his lawn mower this month, the initial assumption was that it
was about politics. Not necessarily. It was more likely about yard waste,
the developer of the gated community where the neighbors live told The
Louisville Courier-Journal.

“This has been festering for years,” he said. His best guess was that
Senator Paul, a libertarian and believer in property rights, provoked the
incident by blowing lawn trimmings from his yard into that of his alleged
assailant, Rene Boucher. Errant tree branches may have also been at the
root of things — with no pun intended.

Of course, in this don’t-tread-on-me society, landscaping disputes between
neighbors are as common as dandelions. Too much fertilizer, too little
grass-cutting and new trees blocking sunlight can all light a fuse. Even
too many vines growing on the wrong side of a fence can offend. Not to
mention noise, which may have attributed to the attack on the senator,
given his frequent mower riding. In 2015, he told Us Weekly that he found
it therapeutic.

In my years as a weekend homeowner on Long Island, I’ve alienated a
beloved neighbor on one side by having her yew tree trimmed to keep it
from covering my chimney. She had agreed to it, but the man we hired
lopped off too much.

Then, when my other neighbor cut back my pine branches hanging over her
driveway, I dragged a mass of dying bamboo from a trash pile on someone’s
curb to shield my view of her floodlight and car. The animosity I caused
with my guerrilla landscaping only ended when I removed the offending wall
of organic detritus and she invested in a tasteful latticed fence to stop
my whining.

At least she didn’t back her car into me. That’s what a landscaper in 1997
claimed Martha Stewart did when she discovered him erecting an illegal
fence for Harry Macklowe next to her Hamptons property. She had already
been feuding with Mr. Macklowe, a real estate magnate, winning a ruling
from the village zoning board when she accused him of trying to
“suburbanize the area with inappropriate dark greenery.” He put in more
dark greenery anyway, and she managed to rip several plants out before his
injunction stopped her. The lawsuits went on for years.

Another celebrity yard war involved Julie Newmar, who, The Los Angeles
Times reported in 2004, had once egged the house of Jim Belushi. Among her
biggest gripes: Additions to his home kept the sunlight from her garden.

If good fences make good neighbors, then entitlement, it seems, makes bad
ones.

Blocking a view is another cause of arboreal animosity. Larry Ellison of
Oracle was in the news in 2011 for suing the San Francisco neighbors below
him for letting their privacy trees grow despite the city’s Tree Dispute
Resolution Ordinance guidelines. They eventually settled, but not before
The Wall Street Journal jumped into the media birdbath and called it a
“full-blown spectacle.”

More recently, on Kauai, Hawaii, Mark Zuckerberg rankled locals by
building a legal wall that blocked an ocean view from the road and, some
even claimed, a breeze. One neighbor told the local paper that the wall
was “oppressive.” Others made unfair comparisons with the president’s
proposed wall for Mexico.

Later, when Mr. Zuckerberg had to file a lawsuit to sort out ancestral
land rights issues on the 700-acre property, more neighbors took offense
and one local elected official told the press, “You don’t initiate
conversation by filing a lawsuit.”

But you also don’t initiate conversation by assaulting a neighbor. Senator
Paul has six broken ribs and an injured lung.

Nearly a week after the incident, with his assailant out of jail on a
$7,500 bond, the reason for the attack remains anyone’s guess.

My own is that it’s not just about a yard or politics.

“Often this kind of dispute is more about control than anything else,”
said Barri Bonapart, a Bay Area lawyer who specializes in tree law and who
once had to stop a client in a view war from buying a gun. “If you’ve been
fired from your job, have family conflicts or a serious health issue, a
common response is to fixate on things you believe you can do something
about, even if that turns out to be delusional.” She also thinks conflict
can be an opportunity to find a solution.

But on Thursday, the assailant, a retired anesthesiologist, pleaded not
guilty to misdemeanor assault charges and otherwise remained, well, mum.

His lawyer insisted the attack wasn’t political and was over trivial
matters. Jim Skaggs, the developer who sold both men their homes, agreed
and noted that the senator dislikes the community’s property rules. A
Republican strategist said to CNN that coastal elites fail to understand
“the leaf-blower wars that take place all across Middle America.”

Is there a lesson in this bizarre story? One might be to watch your back
this month while blowing your leaves. Also watch where you’re blowing
them.

Airplane. Paraquat. Problem solved.

People THIS picky are people who have nothing
good or better to do with their time.

Byker 14-11-2017 06:10 PM

wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/o...l-assault.html

When Senator Rand Paul, Republican of Kentucky, was tackled by a neighbor
while riding his lawn mower this month, the initial assumption was that it
was about politics. Not necessarily. It was more likely about yard waste,
the developer of the gated community where the neighbors live told The
Louisville Courier-Journal.

Is there a lesson in this bizarre story? One might be to watch your back
this month while blowing your leaves. Also watch where you’re blowing
them.

I wonder if we'll see a dramatization on Investigation Discovery's "Fear thy
Neighbor"?